Moral Hazard
Super Genius
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Re: Fram blocked by User:WMFOffice for 1 year

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:18 pm

10920 wrote:
mendaliv wrote:So apparently saying "Laura Hale" is verboten now. God almighty.
I thought they established that after LH exercised her "right to vanish". Any mention of her name after that was thus obviously "outing".
Dead naming,
Or, naming the intellectually dead
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:03 am

Bored bird drops the dime on Yamla.

To be fair, WR had this stuff years ago
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s= ... st&p=49720

Names to faces:
Chris Douglas Thompson
Nice work.

:flaming-v:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:00 am

As to the various theories -- they don't make a difference. It is almost a certainty that LH filed the initial complaint with T&S. T&S gave Fram a formal warning and an Interaction Ban with LH. LH was very public about it and had a lengthy, mean-spirited warning post on the top of her talk page. Except for one edit very remotely related to LH, Fram honored the Interaction Ban and LH continued her destructive Wikipedia editing.

Now, from the inner cabal perspective: you have a number of sensitive items coming up: 1) María is up for re-election as WMF Board chair, 2) the 2030 Strategy Initiative is about to surface recommendations that would drive any traditional admin to DEFCON ONE, 3) the WMF might consider new software rollouts, and 4) Mr. Wales wants to deliver another meaningful civility sermon at Wikimania. You also have T&S staff who are long-time friends of LH and who have been burned by Fram's prior WMF software rollout protests. The WMF sees the need to drop the hammer, but it doesn't want LH and María to take the heat. What better way to strike terror in the hearts of the traditional admin corps that to take the unappealable, unexplained office action against Fram without connecting the dots back to anything in particular. I would no more expect a logical explanation from T&S for the timing of the Fram ban than I would expect a formal written cost-benefit analysis regarding target selection from the 9-11 conspirators. There is inherent psychological and political value in the randomness of the final act.

Arbcom did not ask for all correspondence and documents related to the Fram ban, not did the WMF provide any. However, we know that in general, four sign-offs are needed for a SanFranBan, and that Katherine "shitty" Maher had the final signoff. We also know that Ms. Maher's boss is María "Gamergate" Sefidari Huici, wife of LH.

If Arbcom takes at face value that there is no immediate justification for the timing of the final office action (and that the justification for the Interaction Ban with LH was based upon a complaint from LH), then two steps are needed to cure the problem: restore admin rights to Fram and guarantee that T&S will not police civility in the future on enWP. Of course, any solution is subject to 1) the consultation on the one year, one project ban policy change and 2) the Diversity Working Group recommendations.

SLW80
Contributor

Unread post by SLW80 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:34 am

Eagle: So what are your theories on why they would go after someone so prominent? Fram's apparently not small potatoes. They had to have some idea this would cause a major uproar, right?

I mean, can WMF have actually been that foolish in their power-grab? Or are they looking to drive a lot of their older editors and admins to quitting, while making noise about how they don't want that at all, so they can be replaced?

I dunno, if you're going with union terms, this looks like a union-busting, strike-busting action.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:36 am

SLW80 wrote:Eagle: So what are your theories on why they would go after someone so prominent? Fram's apparently not small potatoes. They had to have some idea this would cause a major uproar, right?
Mr. Eagle probably has his own ideas on this, but IMO Fram has always been kind of a "lone wolf" - he'll go after people, including other admins, without the benefit of a loyal clique supporting him. I think he's one of the only ones who does this - some might say the only one, period.

What's happened over the years is that a lot of people have developed a grudging respect for him, so in a way, he's gathered a clique (or something indistinguishable from one) without really trying, but I suspect much of what appears to be people rushing to his aid is actually people just not wanting the same thing to happen to them.

The WMF folks don't spend all day on English Wikipedia, though, so they might have taken a cursory look at his past attacks on other admins, and thought he could be picked off without too much blowback. That's just a theory, though.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:46 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
SLW80 wrote:Eagle: So what are your theories on why they would go after someone so prominent? Fram's apparently not small potatoes. They had to have some idea this would cause a major uproar, right?
Mr. Eagle probably has his own ideas on this, but IMO Fram has always been kind of a "lone wolf" - he'll go after people, including other admins, without the benefit of a loyal clique supporting him. I think he's one of the only ones who does this - some might say the only one, period.

What's happened over the years is that a lot of people have developed a grudging respect for him, so in a way, he's gathered a clique (or something indistinguishable from one) without really trying, but I suspect much of what appears to be people rushing to his aid is actually people just not wanting the same thing to happen to them.

The WMF folks don't spend all day on English Wikipedia, though, so they might have taken a cursory look at his past attacks on other admins, and thought he could be picked off without too much blowback. That's just a theory, though.
If Fram were taken down without a struggle, who would fight back after that?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:00 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
10920 wrote:
mendaliv wrote:So apparently saying "Laura Hale" is verboten now. God almighty.
I thought they established that after LH exercised her "right to vanish". Any mention of her name after that was thus obviously "outing".
Dead naming,
Or, naming the intellectually dead
If she's vanished, she's no longer a Wikipedia editor so there can't be any prohibition on outing her. or doesn't it work like that?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:06 pm

eagle wrote:María is up for re-election as WMF Board chair
Does she think that this will boost her chances of re-election? Obviously, this will lhave no effect on people unaware of what is happening on ENWP, but quite a lot of people are likely to be aware, even if they don't edit ENWP regularly. I can't see that this will do her any good.

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:45 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Does she think that this will boost her chances of re-election? Obviously, this will lhave no effect on people unaware of what is happening on ENWP, but quite a lot of people are likely to be aware, even if they don't edit ENWP regularly. I can't see that this will do her any good.
Isn't the Chair elected by the Board?

Jeff Hawke
Critic

Unread post by Jeff Hawke » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
According to the Wikimedia Foundation Board Handbook, yes. Presumably the Board will take whatever decision they think will optimise the Foundation's income.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Yes, but only from among its members. If she's voted off the Board, obviously she can't be Chair. Also, "The Trustee officers shall be elected for one year terms of office by majority vote of the Board and such terms shall automatically renew and continue until replaced by a majority vote of the Board or resignation." Thus she remains in office unless the Board takes a positive decision to sack her.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 am

Poetlister wrote:
Newyorkbrad wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Yes, but only from among its members. If she's voted off the Board, obviously she can't be Chair. Also, "The Trustee officers shall be elected for one year terms of office by majority vote of the Board and such terms shall automatically renew and continue until replaced by a majority vote of the Board or resignation." Thus she remains in office unless the Board takes a positive decision to sack her.
Correct. The WMF Board re-elected Maria for a one year term at Wikimania, and there will be a new election at the next Wikimania. If she resigns or is removed by a vote of the Board (a la Doc James), then there would be a new Chair elected to fill out her current term. Optimally, the Arbcom would make specific findings between the already disclosed complaint filed by Laura Hale and the Fram ban. Otherwise, the only connection between the current crisis and Maria is that Maria recused herself from the Board deliberations on Framgate.

SLW80
Contributor

Unread post by SLW80 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:32 am

How do you recuse yourself properly in any way when you're married to the person making the complaint?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:04 pm

SLW80 wrote:How do you recuse yourself properly in any way when you're married to the person making the complaint?
You take no part inthe discussions abou tthe complaint, either overtly or behind the scenes. Of course, those involved in the discussion might be biased in favour of the complaiant because of her relationship to you, but you can't do a great deal about that.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Poetlister wrote:
SLW80 wrote:How do you recuse yourself properly in any way when you're married to the person making the complaint?
You take no part inthe discussions abou tthe complaint, either overtly or behind the scenes. Of course, those involved in the discussion might be biased in favour of the complaiant because of her relationship to you, but you can't do a great deal about that.
It is very poor political judgment to set up a test case of a new policy for one-year, one-project SanFranBans based on a complaint filed by the spouse of the WMF Board Chair when the complaining spouse has a decade long track record of toxic interactions with a significant number of enWP editors. If Fram was alone in having bad interactions with a reasonable Laura Hale, he may have been a good target for a test case. However, Laura Hale has overplayed her "gendergap" hand too many times and too many people have first hand knowledge of her dishonest approach to dealing with colleagues.

Maria is gambling that having Laura Hale disappear will solve this political mess. Any thoughtful person will realize that to achieve fairness to Fram and the other editors harmed by Laura Hale, WP:BOOMERANG needs to be applied.

mendaliv
Habitué
Wikipedia User: mendaliv

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:31 pm

The PD is up! https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =914155351

The remedies section is structured to give the appearance of public debate by the arbs. Three of the four possible results envisioned re: the ban are suggested: vacated, time served, and confirmed (the fourth, missing one is "increased"). Something particularly weird I see is this:
Fram is indefinitely restricted to posts of 500 words or less in any venue – including AN, ANI, any noticeboard, any article talk page, any user talk page, and any arbitration page – on any single issue. They may appeal this restriction in one year.
That is bullshit and will be a nightmare to enforce. I honestly can't wait to see this brought up at AE every day of the week.

And as predicted, the principles section is a travesty. The key principle that should be at the beginning of every single arbitration decision is missing: Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:40 pm

This is the only thing that matters:
Evaluation of Office-provided case materials
6) The Office provided case materials to the Arbitration Committee, upon which they based their conduct warnings and ban. The materials were partially redacted, notably removing the initial complaints as well as other information within the file. These unredacted materials show a pattern of borderline harassment against multiple individuals, through hounding the individuals and excessively highlighting their failures. In the period after receiving their second private conduct warning, Fram was abusive towards the Committee as a whole and specific members. The Office subsequently enacted a 1-year ban and desysopped Fram.
Arbcom calls it "borderline harassment," but apparently the WMF thought it was severe enough to drop the ban. Because Arbcom did not endorse the view that the WMF dossier showed clear harassment, I infer that the Laura Hale relationship with the Board Chair, and probably Fram's negative comments about WMF projects, were enough for the WMF to decide on a ban then find evidence that could support it.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:43 pm

MrErnie wrote:This is the only thing that matters:
6) The Office provided case materials to the Arbitration Committee, upon which they based their conduct warnings and ban. The materials were partially redacted, notably removing the initial complaints as well as other information within the file. These unredacted materials show a pattern of borderline harassment against multiple individuals, through hounding the individuals and excessively highlighting their failures. In the period after receiving their second private conduct warning, Fram was abusive towards the Committee as a whole and specific members. The Office subsequently enacted a 1-year ban and desysopped Fram.
Arbcom calls it "borderline harassment," but apparently the WMF thought it was severe enough to drop the ban. Because Arbcom did not endorse the view that the WMF dossier showed clear harassment, I infer that the Laura Hale relationship with the Board Chair, and probably Fram's negative comments about WMF projects, were enough for the WMF to decide on a ban then find evidence that could support it.
Bear in mind that they can still enact an incoherent decision by supporting that FoF and supporting an endorsement of the ban. It's one of the worst parts about this paragraph-by-paragraph voting structure in decisions.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:47 pm

GW is abstaining from FoF #5:
The evidence provided by the community, as summarized on the evidence page, reveals instances of incivility or lack of decorum on Fram's part, but does not reflect any conduct for which a site-ban would be a proportionate response. In addition, the evidence reveals instances in which Fram has made mistakes as an administrator, including the overturned blocks of Martinevans and GorillaWarfare, but does not reflect any conduct for which desysopping would be a proportionate response.
She needs to abstain from the remedies section if she doesn't think it's appropriate to vote on that FoF.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:56 pm

And unsurprisingly, WTT is playing Solomon in the remedies section: Refusing to confirm or reject the ban and desysop, but ending the ban early.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:00 pm

mendaliv wrote:GW is abstaining from FoF #5:
The evidence provided by the community, as summarized on the evidence page, reveals instances of incivility or lack of decorum on Fram's part, but does not reflect any conduct for which a site-ban would be a proportionate response. In addition, the evidence reveals instances in which Fram has made mistakes as an administrator, including the overturned blocks of Martinevans and GorillaWarfare, but does not reflect any conduct for which desysopping would be a proportionate response.
She needs to abstain from the remedies section if she doesn't think it's appropriate to vote on that FoF.
But do you believe that she will? I certainly don't.

Her moral compass lots its magnet ages ago.

Sophie
Contributor

Unread post by Sophie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:03 pm

As I said recently, GorillaWarfare lacks the maturity and integrity to abstain.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
mendaliv wrote:GW is abstaining from FoF #5:
But do you believe that she will? I certainly don't.

Her moral compass lots its magnet ages ago.
Yeah, no chance she recuses or abstains from the remedies section. Pronouncing sentence is why most of these people became arbitrators, not the tedious part of being a factfinder or, heaven help us, interpreting policy.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:02 pm

mendaliv wrote:The PD is up! https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =914155351

The remedies section is structured to give the appearance of public debate by the arbs. Three of the four possible results envisioned re: the ban are suggested: vacated, time served, and confirmed (the fourth, missing one is "increased"). Something particularly weird I see is this:
Fram is indefinitely restricted to posts of 500 words or less in any venue – including AN, ANI, any noticeboard, any article talk page, any user talk page, and any arbitration page – on any single issue. They may appeal this restriction in one year.
That is bullshit and will be a nightmare to enforce. I honestly can't wait to see this brought up at AE every day of the week.

And as predicted, the principles section is a travesty. The key principle that should be at the beginning of every single arbitration decision is missing: Wikipedia is an encyclopedia.
Nothing wrong with a word limit and it should be applied universally. Opabinia Regalis is major contributor of lengthy, pontificating waffle and should be clamped. If you cannot express an issue in 500 words then you don't need a 1000. "time served" as predicted.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:29 pm

This case is going to make the T&S team look brutally foolish. There’s no easy way around that. They claimed Fram’s harassment was so bad it warranted a one year ban. None of the arbs can even bother to call it harassment

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:49 pm

Here's the link to the decision page in its current (and constantly updating) form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... d_decision

Looks like a probable result of: "Hands off T&S, Disproportionate Penalty so Time Served, Desysop and needs a new RFA."

RfB

ZettaComposer
Contributor

Unread post by ZettaComposer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:14 pm

I don't recall seeing anything resembling the 500 word count restriction in the workshop. I know that hasn't stopped the arbs before, and they are pretty much controlling the entire case anyway, but I don't think it was a good idea to toss in a random restriction for such a high-visibility case. I suppose we'll know who suggested it after we see the lone support vote.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:18 pm

ZettaComposer wrote:I don't recall seeing anything resembling the 500 word count restriction in the workshop. I know that hasn't stopped the arbs before, and they are pretty much controlling the entire case anyway, but I don't think it was a good idea to toss in a random restriction for such a high-visibility case. I suppose we'll know who suggested it after we see the lone support vote.
It looks to me like an 11th hour outside-the-box idea conceived by Worm Dave, but I wouldn't bet 25 cents on that coming to fruition.

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:21 pm

ARBCOM is digging the grave of the encyclopedia here....
The views and feelings of editors who believe in good faith that they are being or have been harassed are to be respected and fully considered, whether or not it is ultimately concluded that harassment actually occurred.
If a mentally ill woman, who has a recorded history of doing poor work and then screaming harassment when caught, 'feels' they have been 'harassed' then you have to respect that?!
You're asking to get played hard here.
See Wikipedia:Harassment#Wikihounding. While the line separating proper from improper behavior in this area may not always be sharply defined, relevant factors include whether the subject editor's contributions are actually viewed as problematic by multiple users or the community; whether the concerned editor raises concerns appropriately on talkpages or noticeboards and explains why the edits are problematic; and ultimately, whether the concerns raised reasonably appear to be motivated by good-faith, substantiated concerns about the quality of the encyclopedia, rather than personal animus against a particular editor.
The burden of proof has effectively shifted to the reviewer.
No more quality control for this encyclopedia project.
You have to prove that you were trying to make sure the edits were good.
It doesn't matter if almost every edit was garbage, there's feelings to keep in mind.
Qworty, wikicology, Laura Hale, etc, etc are being given a new shield to continue to shit up the project.
Administrators should bear in mind that they have many colleagues. If an administrator finds themself in repeated disagreement with another good-faith but allegedly problematic editor, or if other editors disagree with the administrator's actions regarding that editor, it may be better practice for the administrator to request input or review from others, such as by posting on the appropriate noticeboard, rather than continue to address the issue unilaterally.
And if no other person wants to take up the mantle, say the problematic user is politically connected, then the Laura Hale's of the world are free to shit things up. Anybody with a modicum of protection how has a much easier time removing a Fram or Sandstein even after their work has been seen to be garbage, but for the connected, this is a get out of jail free card.

'Highlighting failures' explicitly acknowledges that Fram's actions were, in fact, correct.
We should be done here.
Tell me it's not Laura Hale at the center of this now.
Joe Roe wrote:Fram sometimes takes his criticism of other editors too far, that multiple people have experienced this as harassment
There are multiple snowflakes that Fram has upset by 'highlighting their failures'?
That should be easy to suss out.

Also, in the underlined section, when did lèse-majesté against the ARBCOM constitute grounds for a ban?
Trust of the community (resysop)

2b) The committee declines to reinstate Fram's sysop userright unilaterally and instead refers the matter of their administrator status to WP:Request for adminship to determine if Fram retains the trust of the community as an administrator.
This is clever.
ARBCOM is going to get teh communitah to WP:500 Fram back into admin.
Then they can point Trust and Safety at the result and walk away washing their hands of the whole thing.
Removal of sysop user-rights
2c) The behaviour shown in the case materials, combined with the overturned decisions mentioned in the community evidence, fall below the standards expected for an administrator. Accordingly, the committee declines to reinstate Fram's sysop userright. Fram may request the user-right through an WP:RfA

Support:
I firmly believe that admins should be held to the highest standard of conduct. Enough doubt has been cast on Fram's conduct in this case that, at the least, another RfA is appropriate. – Joe (talk) 16:00, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Selective enforcement at its worst.
You're making policy changes on the fly here.
Given the current environment, there's no way Fram could have known that his 'incivility' to ARBCOM was a desysoping offense.
People need to know what the parameters are BEFORE you suddenly start enforcing them, especially for someone with an empty block log.

There's no section to boomerang for what are obviously bad faith charges brought to Trust and Safety.
There's nothing about the monstrously unclean hands of the complainant.

All and all, pretty cowardly.

P.S. They didn't even notify Fram on his meta talk page.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 pm

ArbCom waffling hard here.

Did he do something that ArbCom would've desysopped him for? It appears not.

To put it in a nutshell, they're refusing to reverse what the WMF did, as I stated many times they would.

They won't 'overturn' the ban. They'll say 'time served', which means he was banned for three months for no good reason. That's not overturning anything. There's a big difference between 'commuting' a sentence and invalidating it.

They won't restore his adminship.

They were instructed not to reverse what the WMF did, and they're following orders.

The proper thing to do would be to restore the adminship and then say if someone wants to open a new case against him to try and get him desysopped, they can.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Let me summarize:

* Fram found an editor who was creating garbage articles
* Fram found that almost all of that editor's articles were garbage
* Fram, alone, tried to make the editor fix them
* Fram refused to be cowed by the reflexive screeching of harassment by the editor
* Fram, without warning, was banned for a year by the Wikimedia Foundation
* The editor, Laura Hale, unbeknownst to Fram turned out to be the wife of the Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation

Now ARBCOM comes to the table and tries to find some way to hold Fram responsible...

ARBCOM refuses to take even a cursory look into the complainant's background for fear of finding out that the complaint itself, at its core, is fouled by unclean hands...

:applause:

You guys have gone and fucked this up in such a spectacular manner that I am awestruck by your exceptionalness.

Honestly, this ARBCOM appears as if they were precipitated from the failed outtakes of the show The Trailer Park Boys.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:03 pm

One needs to read these things together...
Arbcom wrote:Fram is a long-time active editor and administrator on the English Wikipedia. They have been a high-profile administrator and a party to various disputes over the years, but had never been blocked prior to the events that prompted this case ([1]). The Arbitration Committee declined several times to accept requests for arbitration filed against them (2018, 2016) and, where they were involved in cases, have not produced findings against them. The WMF Office sent a "conduct warning" to Fram in April 2018, and a reminder of that warning in March 2019. The Committee has seen copies of the warnings sent to Fram, as well as Fram's response.

On June 10, 2019, the WMF Office announced that Fram was banned from the English Wikipedia for a period of one year, effective immediately, as a non-appealable Office action. No detailed public rationale was provided for the action at that time and the Office has explained that a full explanation cannot be provided as non-public information was involved. As part of the same Office action, Fram's administrator status on English Wikipedia was revoked. Unlike almost all "Office action" bans in the past, the ban was limited in duration and did not affect Fram's participation on other Wikimedia Foundation projects such as Commons and Meta.

The Office's one-year ban of Fram led to extensive discussion within the English Wikipedia community. While a variety of views were expressed, a consensus emerged that the English Wikipedia community wishes to retain its role, including the role of the community-elected Arbitration Committee where necessary, in regulating user conduct on this wiki, rather than have the Office undertake that role in cases that can be handled through existing on-wiki or ArbCom processes. In an open letter, the Committee directly expressed to the Office a similar view. In response, the WMF Board and Katherine Maher, on behalf of the Foundation agreed to provide case materials to facilitate the Committee's review of the scope and length of Fram's ban.

In addition to receiving the information provided by the Office on a confidential basis, the Arbitration Committee invited members of the community to submit relevant evidence directly to the Committee by e-mail. On August 19, 2019, the Committee posted a summary of the community-provided evidence, as well as Fram's reply to that evidence. The Committee was not authorized to post, and therefore did not post, the case materials provided by the Office or a summary of that evidence.

The Office provided case materials to the Arbitration Committee, upon which they based their conduct warnings and ban. The materials were partially redacted, notably removing the initial complaints as well as other information within the file. These unredacted materials show a pattern of borderline harassment against multiple individuals, through hounding the individuals and excessively highlighting their failures. In the period after receiving their second private conduct warning, Fram was abusive towards the Committee as a whole and specific members. The Office subsequently enacted a 1-year ban and desysopped Fram.

There was no evidence of off-wiki misconduct in either the Office provided case materials, or the community provided evidence.

Beyond the specifics of Fram's case, there is a broadly shared view that Wikipedia/Wikimedia processes for raising and addressing harassment-related issues warrant continued review and potential improvement. However, there is a consensus that on-wiki issues on English Wikipedia should generally remain within the purview of the English Wikipedia volunteer community, including this Committee, unless there are specific reasons that the Office should address a particular concern or type of concern.

Whilst this case was ongoing, the Office drafted a "Community consultation on partial and temporary office actions". The full consultation is expected in early September 2019.
It's a weakish defense of En-WP autonomy, but a defense nonetheless. Failing to "overturn" the ban merely allows WMF to save face.

Now, will T&S launch a new offensive after this? The jury is still out.

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:05 pm

These unredacted materials show a pattern of borderline harassment against multiple individuals, through hounding the individuals and excessively highlighting their failures. In the period after receiving their second private conduct warning, Fram was abusive towards the Committee as a whole and specific members.
This is the only section with anything actionable and being mean to ARBCOM isn't a wikicrime.
excessively highlighting their failures
That's the only charge here.

Hi Laura!

Well, we got there in the end...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:23 pm

God damn.
I'm not sure about the wording (but I have not been involved in shaping the PD, so unaware of the thinking behind it) as it might be seen as odd to siteban an admin but allow them to keep their admin tools, but regardless of the wording, I think the question of Fram's admin status should be decided by the community when he returns to Wikipedia and is able to respond to questions and assure the community that he will tone down his frustration, and if someone is not responding how he would like, that he gets at least one other admin to look into the issue. SilkTork (talk) 18:16, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Then why are you voting?
Why are you even on ARBCOM?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:29 pm

DING! DING! DING!
Statement by Mr Ernie

Would the Committee explicitly cite the evidence on the basis of which they support the de-sysop of Fram? This can be used as the (incredibly low) new bar for which cases regarding admin behavior can be brought before the committee. I've in mind half a dozen or so admins who should expect to be de-sysop'd quite quickly. Mr Ernie (talk) 18:19, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Let the knives come out!

Let the Black Spot be passed.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Vigilant wrote:DING! DING! DING!
Statement by Mr Ernie

Would the Committee explicitly cite the evidence on the basis of which they support the de-sysop of Fram? This can be used as the (incredibly low) new bar for which cases regarding admin behavior can be brought before the committee. I've in mind half a dozen or so admins who should expect to be de-sysop'd quite quickly. Mr Ernie (talk) 18:19, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Let the knives come out!
Let the Black Spot be passed.
Yeah. This is one of the most important reasons why evidence needs to be public. If you don’t know where the line is, your fingers are likely to get pinched.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm

AN/I wrote:Promotion-only account

I have tried taking a no-templates, educational approach with User talk:Airmax617 and look where it's gotten me "Let's get to actionable terms: what do we need to do to get the Laally Bridge concept introduced in the at-breast supplementation section of Wikipedia?" I am out of patience with this guy. Does anyone want to take over? Clayoquot (talk | contribs) 16:59, 5 September 2019 (UTC)

Potential shared account (they keep referring to themselves in the plural), blatant (potentially paid) COI (per their talk page, My wife...is the inventor of the Bridge, Bridge being the product this account is pushing), promo-only account, there's a lot of potential block reasons here. creffpublic a creffett franchise (talk to the boss) 17:03, 5 September 2019 (UTC)

"Please remember we are not a medical device and don't make medical claims -- latching a baby is not a medical claim and helping moms keep the baby at the breast is also not a medical claim." Actually, "yes" on both counts. Gandydancer (talk) 17:25, 5 September 2019 (UTC)

By we -- it's my wife (Kate) and I. We're entrepreneurs trying to help parents succeed at breastfeeding. We are behind Laally and we make the product, the Bridge. We are not hiding any of that information. We're not pushing a product, we're engaging in a discussion to try to get the public educated about at-breast supplementation to resolve BF issues using different types of products. The current wiki article on the concept is not complete.
On a similar page on pumping, there are pictures of pumps and company names. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_pump. Clayoquot is arguing that we can't be on these pages because of "potential harm" (which is a personal belief) and because we are not in "reputable sources" (which we think we are).
We'd be happy to have a live discussion on this with any moderator or admin. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Airmax617 (talk • contribs) 18:22, 5 September 2019 (UTC)

@Airmax617: If you're trying to get your product (note the emphasis) added to articles, then even if you call it education, it's promotion. This is exactly why we have the guidelines we do about conflicts of interest and why it is a bad idea for you to try to add your own product anywhere on Wikipedia. —C.Fred (talk) 18:30, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Trust and Safety inbound to desysop and siteban C. Fred and Clayoquot !

For great justice!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:45 pm

You're making it worse, Joe.
Joe Roe wrote:We weren't allowed to give Fram anything more than the brief summary of the T&S evidence posted on the evidence page. I believe we've stated this publicly multiple times during the case. They responded to the summary in the evidence phase.
Then you can't consider that evidence.
Period.
Joe Roe wrote:If your point 3 is referring to me, I don't think the summary is overstated. I think that terms like "harassment" and "abuse" are contextual and subjective. Personally I think they are little too strong in this case, but I can understand why others might see it differently, and more importantly some targets of Fram's behaviour did consider it as harassment. – Joe (talk) 18:31, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
Check WP:ANI every day to find people with the failures being exposed who cry harassment at the people holding them to account.
"He's harassing me!" isn't a magical 'get out of jail free' card when the underlying edits are garbage.

You have to evaluate the credibility of the complainant prior to coming to a conclusion and sentence.
You guys obviously didn't do that.

You are enshrining the right of connected complainants to submit non-rebuttable, secret evidence that cannot be evaluated for reliability or credibility into any dispute.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Administrators' pursuit of issues

6) Administrators should bear in mind that they have many colleagues. If an administrator finds themself in repeated disagreement with another good-faith but allegedly problematic editor, or if other editors disagree with the administrator's actions regarding that editor, it may be better practice for the administrator to request input or review from others, such as by posting on the appropriate noticeboard, rather than continue to address the issue unilaterally. This can be true even if the administrator may not formally be "involved" in a dispute with that editor. Whether to handle a matter oneself or seek broader input can be a judgment call as in more clear-cut instances, an individual administrator may be justified in addressing the problem decisively on his or her own. The question to be asked can be whether bringing more voices into the discussion will enhance the chances of a fair and well-informed resolution that will be respected as such by the affected editor and by others. A corollary is that this approach can work only if other admins and experienced editors are prepared to invest the time and effort needed to review a situation and provide input when asked to do so.
When Laura Hale was called out by Fram for making repeated garbage edits via terribly broken translations of spanish wikipedia articles into the english wikipedia articles, Maria Sefidari Huici corruptly volunteered to mentor Laura Hale without mentioning her gross Conflict of Interest.

This is a explicit corrupt circumvention of what ARBCOM is calling for here.
By a member, at that time, of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation.

How on earth are en.wp admins expected to protect the wiki with that type of nepotism broadly on display?

This is exactly why Laura Hale didn't go through ARBCOM.
The process would have exposed her and Maria Sefidari Huici's corrupt actions and Laura Hale's incompetent editing.

WP:BOOMERANG needs to make a big appearance here.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:57 pm

But you must belieeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvve women!

Unless Fram is a woman ....

Fram is a "they" now.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

2019 imposes additional cognitive burdens.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 pm

We have the most delicate of snowflakes working as ARBCOM clerks...
Hey Future Perfect at Sunrise, I appreciate your concerns about the format. I also saw a comment above by Mendaliv about sectioned discussion, and it's clear that there's some frustration about the change, so I hope I can be somewhat helpful in my explanation.

Proposed decision talk pages are normally sectioned in almost every case. The reason it wasn't before here is that there wasn't a proposed decision. Arbitration pages exist to help the committee reach a fair, well-informed decision; in that process, community comments are highly valuable and deeply appreciated. We also know that these disputes can cause tempers to run hot; almost by definition, arbitration cases are centered on disputes that the community has been unable to resolve. The sole purpose of the PD talk is to provide comments to arbs to help them reach the best resolution possible; true debates serve no good purpose here. Non-arbs aren't your audience – I wager you'd agree that arguing with and convincing non-arbs on this talk page of your positions doesn't do you all that much good, since it's the arbs who'll be voting on this. And over many years of doing this, the committee has found that the most helpful comments for the arbs do not come in the form of threaded discussion. Is it possible to have unproductive heated arguments with sectioned discussion? Sure, but in our experience, it's much harder.

I think I speak for the clerks and the committee when I say that we don't give a damn about "power". It's an internet website, for Pete's sake; you must have a really low opinion of us if you think this is the only way we can get some sort of power rush. The arbitrators and clerks I've had the joy of working with over the last four and a half years have been good people, dedicated people, who do this difficult job because they believe in it. From what I can see, the job of an arbitrator is deeply unpleasant and the members of the committee do it because they think the work is important; anyone who wanted to do it to feel power wouldn't last a moment in the position.

Please know that out of respect for your request, I will not be changing your section title name. Best, Kevin (aka L235 · t · c) 18:53, 5 September 2019 (UTC)

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Vigilant wrote:We have the most delicate of snowflakes working as ARBCOM clerks...
Hey Future Perfect at Sunrise, I appreciate your concerns about the format. I also saw a comment above by Mendaliv about sectioned discussion, and it's clear that there's some frustration about the change, so I hope I can be somewhat helpful in my explanation.

Proposed decision talk pages are normally sectioned in almost every case. The reason it wasn't before here is that there wasn't a proposed decision. Arbitration pages exist to help the committee reach a fair, well-informed decision; in that process, community comments are highly valuable and deeply appreciated. We also know that these disputes can cause tempers to run hot; almost by definition, arbitration cases are centered on disputes that the community has been unable to resolve. The sole purpose of the PD talk is to provide comments to arbs to help them reach the best resolution possible; true debates serve no good purpose here. Non-arbs aren't your audience – I wager you'd agree that arguing with and convincing non-arbs on this talk page of your positions doesn't do you all that much good, since it's the arbs who'll be voting on this. And over many years of doing this, the committee has found that the most helpful comments for the arbs do not come in the form of threaded discussion. Is it possible to have unproductive heated arguments with sectioned discussion? Sure, but in our experience, it's much harder.

I think I speak for the clerks and the committee when I say that we don't give a damn about "power". It's an internet website, for Pete's sake; you must have a really low opinion of us if you think this is the only way we can get some sort of power rush. The arbitrators and clerks I've had the joy of working with over the last four and a half years have been good people, dedicated people, who do this difficult job because they believe in it. From what I can see, the job of an arbitrator is deeply unpleasant and the members of the committee do it because they think the work is important; anyone who wanted to do it to feel power wouldn't last a moment in the position.

Please know that out of respect for your request, I will not be changing your section title name. Best, Kevin (aka L235 · t · c) 18:53, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
This just takes the cake: “Please know that out of respect for your request, I will not be changing your section title name.“

Translated: “We aren’t powerhungry and I resent the implication! As a show of our benefaction, we shall reserve our power to change your section title.”

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:16 pm

mendaliv wrote:
Vigilant wrote:We have the most delicate of snowflakes working as ARBCOM clerks...

This just takes the cake: “Please know that out of respect for your request, I will not be changing your section title name.“

Translated: “We aren’t powerhungry and I resent the implication! As a show of our benefaction, we shall reserve our power to change your section title.”
You may kiss our ring.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:33 pm

It does seem like this forced sectioning without threaded discussion is the new normal on PD talk pages, (although the clerks themselves seem to feel free to do so) which I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking is a terrible idea for vague purposes. It's a talk page, but you can't actually have a conversation on it? Why have it at all then?
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:35 pm

I'm just rather surprised that it was posted two days early.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:It does seem like this forced sectioning without threaded discussion is the new normal on PD talk pages, (although the clerks themselves seem to feel free to do so) which I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking is a terrible idea for vague purposes. It's a talk page, but you can't actually have a conversation on it? Why have it at all then?
true debates serve no good purpose here......... Kevin

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:It does seem like this forced sectioning without threaded discussion is the new normal on PD talk pages, (although the clerks themselves seem to feel free to do so) which I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking is a terrible idea for vague purposes. It's a talk page, but you can't actually have a conversation on it? Why have it at all then?
true debates serve no good purpose here......... Kevin
What a load of tripe.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get the response to the sectioned discussion complaint in my section. I was thinking about collapsing/removing any responses since it's my section.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 pm

MrErnie wrote:... Arbcom did not endorse the view that the WMF dossier showed clear harassment ... and probably Fram's negative comments about WMF projects, were enough for the WMF to decide on a ban then find evidence that could support it.
Which also fits ArbCom's style, so the two are a perfect match.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:50 pm

mendaliv wrote:I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get the response to the sectioned discussion complaint in my section. I was thinking about collapsing/removing any responses since it's my section.
Rot13 all of your comments.