Fram blocked by User:WMFOffice for 1 year

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Auggie
Regular
kołdry

Re: Fram blocked by User:WMFOffice for 1 year

Unread post by Auggie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Midsize Jake wrote: Even if this incident were enough to trigger it, the problem with such a mass exodus in Wikipedia's case would be, as always, Google. Unless Google could somehow be convinced to shift its allegiance to the new encyclopedia-like website and rank it higher in search results than Wikipedia, it's just not going to be sustainable in the long term. On the plus side, it might finally prove to what few doubters remain that Google is really the one major thing that makes Wikipedia what it is, and always has been - not the WMF, not the users, and not even all that content they've put into it over the years.
haha nice to see you've adopted the correct terminology. :XD

I'm starting to see improvement in Google lately. The change is happening. I googled "causes of wwii" yesterday and instead of Wikipedia's lame hot mess of an article, a concise piece from ducksters.com came up first. Good for them. Not that the ducksters article is perfect but at least it says something and you don't need a college reading level to be able to wade through it.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm

I mentioned on Twitter that a shitshow was in progress at Wikipedia. A friend of mine who was at the WMF very briefly in the recent past emailed and asked "what's up?" I dashed off the following summary:
In a nutshell the girlfriend of the current president of the board of directors (a pay-for-play editor of 10 years standing who writes in some strange dialect of Klingon and constantly fills the website with errors, then strikes out like a caged beast when someone discovers the errors) got Trust and Safety to block a longstanding admin and frequent critic of the WMF's terrible software initiatives on grounds that he was a harasser. He had harassed her, you see, by repeatedly pointing to all the errors of fact in her articles. The WMF had only ever used this power in the past to block stalkers and pedophiles. Then the board president called everyone protesting this action a misogynist. Good times, good times.
He immediately responded: "Yeah, I know Maria. Not surprised."

A poet not named Sam
Wikipedia User: Shalom Yechiel
Wikipedia Review Member: Shalom

Unread post by A poet not named Sam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:04 pm

Green Eggs and Fram

I do not like this shameless sham!
I do not like it! Fram I am.
I do not like the Wiki Lords.
I do not like Foundation Boards.
I do not like a yearlong ban.
I do not like this Jimbo Wales.
I do not like that Laura Hale.
I do not like them. Tell them “scram!”
I do not like them! Fram I am.
I do not like to say “Shalom!”
I do not like to stay at home.
So I am socking on the lam!
And you can’t stop me! Fram I am!

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =901591663

(Deleted by a humorless Wikipedia administrator. It is just a joke.)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Ansh666 wrote:For anyone wondering if media is interested, I got an email from a reporter who covers Wikipedia at Haaretz (T-H-L). From what he said, it would seem like outsiders are really struggling to figure out what to make of it, even ones who are familiar with WP. (For the record, I declined, because I really don't want to try and explain it, because I really don't know what the heck is going on either).
This is interesting. Presumably someone here would be happy to talk to him.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Vigilant wrote:The best part so far, to me, is that this whole shit storm has as its foolish progenitor none other than Jimmy Wales' immature temper tantrum.

If Jimmy hadn't fucked Doc James with his pants on, then Maria Sefiardi wouldn't have been appointed to the board as his illegitimate replacement and Laura Hale wouldn't have had such a ready made conduit to conduct her mischief against Fram.
We might as well blame Larry Sanger and Ben Kovitz for starting Wikipedia.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:26 pm

A poet not named Sam wrote:Green Eggs and Fram

The humorless ones are the worst.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:26 pm

A poet not named Sam wrote:Green Eggs and Fram

:welcome:

I'll add you to the list.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:11 pm

What did Courcelles say at 14:11, June 12, 2019 that was RevDeleted?

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 pm

That he was going to play an active part on the Arbcom?!
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

deframentation troubles

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:45 pm

DanMurphy wrote:I mentioned on Twitter that a shitshow was in progress at Wikipedia. A friend of mine who was at the WMF very briefly in the recent past emailed and asked "what's up?" I dashed off [a... ] summary.
I find it fascinating how you, MrX, Trypto and even Awilley have gotten so worked up over this. All three got in the midst of the barn-warming party at Bish's, Awilley actually stopped making every "edit" he makes be about me (whew! ^^) to comment at WMFOffice & on Bishonen's page, Trypto has joined in the cacophony following Awilley @WMF Office & MrX & Awilley chez Bish, and now you have just reprinted some anonymous (so, random) person's private(?) reply to you via Twitter after pushing hard against WMF Office actions.

Now, I have seen enough of Fram's prose & of Laura Hale's prose to understand that this would be complicated, if the focus were only on Hale. But who says that it is primarily about her? We all remember Fram going after Drmies, some remember him going after Fae, after Dysklyver, etc. rumor has it he was even mean to Kumioko! Rightly or wrongly they have gone after quite a few people in ways which are far from gentle.

I think certain hotlines are blinging so bright because if T&S were to start putting their noses into some other areas where The Krewz (that Dan knows) rule... now that would be interesting. The watershed could have been jytdog. Instead, it was Fram. In any case, those flushed out in the open by their actions (most especially Swarm) have made the exercise useful in my opinion.

ed: had to translate markdown to markup :cuckoo:
los auberginos

Guido den Broeder
Critic
Wikipedia Review Member: Guido den Broeder

Unread post by Guido den Broeder » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 pm

I think it's safe to say that it isn't all about Laura Hale. She was merely the one available to give permission to be mentioned, and she's comparatively safe from further harassment by Fram's supporters. There are many, many issues with Fram and more than one has been reported to the WMF.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:What did Courcelles say at 14:11, June 12, 2019 that was RevDeleted?
Heh, it wasn't just RevDeleted, it was oversighted. But on a fast-moving discussion like this, if the oversighter isn't quick on the trigger then they will need to oversight several edits that come after the one that revealed personal, nonpublic information. So the oversighted edit was simply restored by the edit that followed it. It's all still there. And since, apparently the information was self-revealed on facebook, they're not fussed about it now. So at this point the oversighting is just drawing unnecessary attention to it, so it should probably be reversed.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Erhmagahd that discussion is a total nightmare. I can't imagine anyone actually reading the whole thing.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Speaking of long discussions... how's the second round of the Strategy 2030 process going? Have the Strategy 2030 discussions come up with any long-term robust solutions for dealing with the ongoing incivility issues on English Wikipedia yet??

It's funny how few of the actual significant operational changes actually emerge from these endless community discussion processes.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Laura Hale sure has a lot of editing problems in her history.

She 'archived' her talk page and removed these comments
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =886828602
Women in the Spanish Civil War

First of all, I would just like to say how pleased I am to see you have begun contributing to the EN Wiki once again. You've already produced a considerable number of biographies and a detailed article on women in the yellow vest movement. All very interesting and useful for Wikipedia.

As you have probably seen, I've looked in some detail at a couple of your draft Spanish Civil War articles, Women in Partido Obrero de Unificación Marxista in the Spanish Civil War ‎and Feminists and the Spanish Civil War. They each contain an enormous amount of detailed information, filling an important gap in our coverage of Spanish history. I've tried to help them on their way to mainspace by doing a bit of post editing. The priority now seems to be to avoid repition and redundency. There are some passages which are repeated up the three of four times. I was going to try to take care of them myself but then thought it would be better for you to handle them and keep the articles properly structured. If you think my copy editing helps, I could also work on the other articles over the next few days.

There's just one thing you might like to clarify in the feminism article, that is the "personal" versus "political" involvement. I think it would be useful to explain this in more detail. All in all though, you've been producing some very good work.--Ipigott (talk) 13:19, 5 March 2019 (UTC)

Translations from French

Hi I noticed that you created an article Ingrid Levavasseur in which you translated some French language sources. I have corrected some of the translations and I will try and get round to looking at the rest as there are some errors in them. Just as an exemple "Vous êtes en train de vous foutre de la gueule de je ne sais combien de personne." doesn't mean "You are trying to fuck yourself in the mouth of I do not know how many people". It actually means "you are taking the piss out of I don't know how many people". Foutre does have its origins in a latin word to mean fuck and gueule is mouth but this is quite a common expression that is mildly vulgar and means to take the piss out of. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/se_foutr ... _gueule_de. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help with French translations. Dom from Paris (talk) 19:13, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
It's almost like she doesn't give a a shit about writing an encyclopedia and is just there to rack up an edit/article count so she can get in on the sweet, sweet WMF gravy train.

Shacking up with the Chair of the Board of Trustees seems like a solid move, as well, if you're aiming to get your own spot at the donation trough.

Things like this might make a person with a suspicious mind wonder if Laura's seemingly instantaneous sexual preference transformation upon arrival in Madrid was actually spontaneous or as the result of study and planning.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Is it possible that all of the lesbian stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... /LauraHale makes her in breach of COI? Wouldn't like to be the one who drops that warning message on her talk page :evilgrin:

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Just stop.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Prior to the previous archiving spree...

Moving backwards in time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =824628957
Nomination of Austria women's national under-19 floorball team for deletion

A discussion is taking place as to whether the article Austria women's national under-19 floorball team is suitable for inclusion in Wikipedia according to Wikipedia's policies and guidelines or whether it should be deleted.

The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Austria women's national under-19 floorball team until a consensus is reached, and anyone is welcome to contribute to the discussion. The nomination will explain the policies and guidelines which are of concern. The discussion focuses on high-quality evidence and our policies and guidelines.

Users may edit the article during the discussion, including to improve the article to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion notice from the top of the article. Fram (talk) 20:10, 18 September 2017 (UTC)

Fram,
This is a request to stay off my talk page, in the same style as you request it of other editors. Other admins have requested that you stop posting on my talk page before. They have requested you stop taking action in regards to me, especially given your problematic actions as they relate to your inability to be impartial where I am concerned. You have claimed that DYKs I did were related to Gibraltarpedia, when they were clearly not, and you never retracted this. You completely out of process deleted article drafts from my user space citing gross BLP violations, which other admins said were not this after viewing the deleted content. You defended these actions, and did not admit your errors. These are two examples, of several, where you have acted in bad faith with me. Enough.
Stay off my talk page Fram. If you have a problem with my work, then you need to talk to another admin and have them handle the problem. It should not be you. LauraHale (talk) 14:50, 19 September 2017 (UTC)

The post above was an automatic note sent to you when nominating a page you created for deletion. Not sending this note would have been problematic and looked sa if I had something to hide (I didn't, I was going through orphaned pages and nominating for deletion some on non notable subjects, including this one; who created it didn't interest me). Gibraltarpedia: when that touristic project came under fire at DYK, you (who clearly supported the main Gibraltarpedia editors at DYK and vice versa) started writing (usually very poor) DYKs for article with "Gibraltar" in the title. Just a coincidence, of course, and how bad was my faith to see any connection there.

When you are responsible for serious errors appearing in Wikipedia, I'll note this here, whether you like this or not. When articles you write are filled with errors, I'll delete them, nominate them for deletion, or move them to draft space, depending on the type and amount of errors. If you would again start creating strings of sub-par articles, certainly if they would be on BLPs or filled with BLP violations, I will again raise the issue at the administrator's noticeboard. I will not turn a blind eye to your problematic editing just because you don't like it, and I will not let your claims about me remain unchallenged.

Feel free to raise the issue of your BLP violations at WP:AN if you really want admins to look at it: User:LauraHale/Guinea at the 2000 African Francophone Games for the Handicapped is the deleted article, User:LauraHale/Irma Khetsuriani is one that was moved from mainspace to your userspace. Whether it is a good idea for you to raise this issue there is dubious though: I tried to prevent you from being blocked or banned by raising the problems here instead of at AN or ArbCom, considering your history of poor articles and the sanctions you already received. Fram (talk) 12:27, 22 September 2017 (UTC)
Reference errors on 24 December

Hello, I'm ReferenceBot. I have automatically detected that some edits performed by you may have introduced errors in referencing. They are as follows:

On the Brazil at the 2016 Summer Paralympics page, your edit caused an unnamed parameter error (help). (Fix | Ask for help)
On the Argentina at the 2016 Summer Paralympics page, your edit caused an unnamed parameter error (help). (Fix | Ask for help)
Please check these pages and fix the errors highlighted. If you think this is a false positive, you can report it to my operator. Thanks, ReferenceBot (talk) 00:24, 25 December 2015 (UTC)
Fiji Paralympic Association

Hi, I notice that you are back editing here. Sadly, some of the earlier problems seem to be continuing. I have corrected the Fiji Paralympic Association article[1]. It looks as if you misread the source and thereby included incorrect information in the article. The source doesn't state that the support is no longer equal for Olympic and Paralympic athletes or that only a few sports still are supported, but that despite the equal support, success has only been achieved in a few sports, due to other reasons. Fram (talk) 10:52, 20 January 2016 (UTC)
Committee Paralimpic Andorra

Okay, I thought the above was poor, but this seems to be worse. Where did you get Committee Paralimpic Andorra? You should know by now that your Spanish (or Catalan) is poor, so please don't try to guess the Spanish name of the Paralympic Committee of Andorra. It should have been "COMITÈ PARALÍMPIC ANDORRÀ", if you wanted it like that, only it seems that no organization of that name exists (the name is used in the press regularly though). All that seems to exist now is the Federació Andorrana d'esports adaptats, with president Jordi Casellas Albiol[2]. You can see at the official page of the Andorran government about sports agencies[3] that they list the "Federació Andorrana d'Esports Adaptats" (located in Ordino) and the "Comitè Olímpic Andorrà", but no paralympic committee with such a name (and certainly not with the name of our article).

If you create an article about an organisation, the least you can do is check whether you have the right name for it. Otherwise, please don't bother. Fram (talk) 11:07, 20 January 2016 (UTC)
Irma Khetsuriani

I have moved Irma Khetsuriani, a page you recently created, back to User:LauraHale/Irma Khetsuriani from where you had recently moved it from the mainspace. As far as I know, you don't speak Georgian (neither do I) and we both have to rely on Google translate or a similar tool to help us. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

In your article, your first source is [4], which you use 11 times in the article to source statements like "The family left the region during the war with very few possessions.", "At the age of 17, she entered the University of Kutaisi, where she studied English and informatics.", " At one point, the disease was so severe that her lung almost collapsed and she was near death." and so on.

Which is all very impressive, considering that apparently the article only has the following to say about Khetsuriani (through Google Translate): "6. Irma Khetsuriani-second year of life in a wheelchair enchained able to continue to maintain its position among the successful, parasportsmenta the World Cup and became vice-champion of the world." I may be missing something here, and in that case please explain it to me, but otherwise it seems as if your source does not contain most of the statements you link to it at all, not even something vaguely resembling it.

Looking at other statements you make in the article:

"One of Khersuriani's best friend is fellow Georgian wheelchair fencer, Temo Dadiani also from Abkhazia. The pair met at a rehabilitation center in Ukraine.[7]"

Source 7 is [5], which states

"Irma is an international fencing champion, whom Tinatin met in a rehabilitation center in Ukraine." Now, Tinatin is Tinatin Kuskusela, not Temo Dadiani. Dadiani is also mentioned in that article, but in a completely different context. So here at least it is clear that you have completely misread or misrepresented the source (in English).
Your article:

"She lost to American Ellen Geddes 9 - 15 in the quarterfinals. Geddes would go on to win bronze while Khersuriani finished fifth.[22]"
Source[6]: "Geddes went 3-3 in the Category B women’s epee pools to advance to the quarter-finals where she defeated Irma Khetsuriani (GEO), 15-9."

Nowhere in that article is it said that Khetsuriani finished 5th, which isn't automatic when you lose a quarterfinal in fencing.

I haven't checked every source, these few were sufficient to see that you don't seem to have improved your editing much in your absence and that articles you create can't be accepted in the mainspace as they stand.

Please radically change your approach to editing, or get a mentor, or do something else, but don't again flood the enwiki mainspace with articles with major sourcing issues, wrong information, wrong titles, and so on, like in the above examples (which cover three of the last four articles you created, indicating that these problems are the rule, not the exception). Fram (talk) 08:52, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
Proposed deletion of Sint Maarten women's national football team

The article Sint Maarten women's national football team has been proposed for deletion because of the following concern:

Can find no evidence that this team exists or has ever existed.
The two statements with citations in the article are non-specific statements about football in general in Sint Maarten, not about women's football (let alone a national team).
While all constructive contributions to Wikipedia are appreciated, content or articles may be deleted for any of several reasons.

You may prevent the proposed deletion by removing the {{proposed deletion/dated}} notice, but please explain why in your edit summary or on the article's talk page.

Please consider improving the article to address the issues raised. Removing {{proposed deletion/dated}} will stop the proposed deletion process, but other deletion processes exist. In particular, the speedy deletion process can result in deletion without discussion, and articles for deletion allows discussion to reach consensus for deletion. IgnorantArmies (talk) 13:17, 14 April 2016 (UTC)

Prior to another vanity archiving...
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =659117172

A metric ass ton of broken reference bot notifications, DYK failures, refusal to answer questions in regard to busted DYKs, she gets taken to WP:AN... by Fram... who asks for a topic ban for her.
AN discussion

You are the subject of a discussion at WP:AN#Laura Hale topic ban. Fram (talk) 17:18, 6 January 2014 (UTC)

Hi Laura. I understand your unwillingness to go to ANI, but I am afraid we really have a problem with your editing. Would you please be willing to respond in the ANI thread (where a number of examples are collected) or elsewhere? Thank you.--Ymblanter (talk) 14:44, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

I apologize, but as the AN discussion was started about 5 minutes after I started adding sources to an article I created that Fram had nominated for deletion, and where Fram mispresented the availability of sources related to the topic. Fram has previously sought to block me from processes and misrepresented my work, including falsely counting DYKs I wrote as being about Gibraltar when they were clearly not. He had also gone after me for Flat Bastion Road and for another article about an Australian Paralympic guide skier at DYK. For me, this is a continuing pattern on the part of Fram in going after me. (I have previously requested that Fram cease interacting with me.)
In my opinion, @Demiurge1000: did a good job at debunking the examples provided.) Since the discussion at DYK, I have made a very conscious effort to seek second opinions when I am unsure of the meaning of words, spent most of December learning Spanish, tried to rely less on translation tools to understand meaning, and sought assistance from members of Wikimedia España when I had even more questions about what I was reading.
The three examples Fram provided were not about translation errors. One was a typographical error. One was contorting the English language to avoid close paraphrasing from a translation. The third was a misunderstanding of a topic, not an issue of translation.
Most of the articles that Fram likely would point to are less issues of translation than of attempting to write an article to prove the article satisfies WP:GNG. Writing styles and citation styles differ very much when writing a stub about an inherently notable subject, when writing an article about a subject to demonstrate they pass WP:GNG, writing an article for WP:DYK, writing an article for WP:GA and writing an article for WP:FAC. As @Dr. Blofeld: notes, these articles are not the best things ever, and they are not striving to be. Rather, the are trying to demonstrate notability, and Fram is mistaking poor writing to pass WP:GNG for misunderstanding sources. Instead of being here to positively contribute to Wikipedia by improving the prose, Fram takes me to AN which goes back to m point about this being an example of Fram's hounding. --LauraHale (talk) 15:03, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

I personally do not see problems with the notability of the articles I look at, but I do see problems with the prose (English is not my mothertongue though, and I was already accused multiple times of not understanding things here, so that I can be wrong), and indeed sometimes articles you created do not contain the same info as Spanish sources contain. I see that these two problems were cited on many occasions in the past, and I see that it persists. I do not think Fram is going to check all your articles and re-write all the prose. How do you think we should solve it?--Ymblanter (talk) 15:18, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

A qualification of writing for Wikipedia is not writing brilliant prose. I do not see many occasions where these problems were brought to my attention. The first I am aware of was the discussion on DYK, which Fram who has a history of hounding me, started. The second time it was brought to my attention was when it was brought up on ANI. If I have been informed on this on other occasions, then please provide diffs related to this notice of notifications on my talk page. Fram provided three examples. That is not many considering the number of articles I have written and the number of edits I have made using Spanish sources. What percentage of my contributions using Spanish sources do you think are problematic? --LauraHale (talk) 15:23, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

I do not know what percentage is problematic, I would need to check myself. However, even if the percentage is very small, these are still articles (and actually BLP articles) which contain wrong information, and smth has to be done about this. And if you have see the ANI thread, you must have noticed that, apart from the topic ban issue, Fram is certainly not the only editor who sees a problem here.--Ymblanter (talk) 15:34, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

As I have said earlier, I have taken steps to make sure that I am understanding Spanish content better and will make every effort to do better in the future. While I admit that my comprehension is not always 100%, most of the issues pointed out are problems of prose, not problems of translation.[1] I believe that Fram is cherry picking to make me look bad, taking a few isolated cases and blowing them out of proportion. I believe he is engaging in hounding, which is why he tried to bring up my affiliations in the AN notice. I also believe that his hounding is why he did not take appropriate steps to raise these concerns with me. I am open to potential mentorship where some one could vet my Spanish comprehension in terms of article writing if there is a greater demonstration of problems than the ones provided by Fram on AN, but not until a later date and independent of any action connected to Fram. (Who took me to AN immediately after I started working to prove notability on an article he nominated for deletion.) Also, can you please point me to diffs where I was notified that this was a problem as requested? And demonstrate that following my commitment on DYK to try to be much more careful regarding my use of Spanish language sources, I have continued to engage in the problematic behavior? I will happily work on those articles to fix the problems identified after I made my commitment, because I am trying very hard to use sources in compliance with policy. I will continue to do so. I just need examples to have an idea of what the problem is and how I can fix it. --LauraHale (talk) 15:51, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

I have now taken the last article you created (it is not my field at all), and here are the issues I found: [2] (note that this includes some cleanup as well). I see there one info which was plain wrong (16 instead of 18, probably typo), one which looked like a machine translation (about two fourth places), one which was incomplete (one gold instead of two), and a wrong name (English is Biscay, fortunately it was included in a disambig). Whereas it is very likely that most of these were not really translation problems but just typos and similar issues, I am afraid this was too much for an article which has three paragraphs of prose. Do you want me to check more?--Ymblanter (talk) 16:17, 7 January 2014 (UTC)

Also copyedited this article a bit, hope this helps.--Ymblanter (talk) 19:07, 7 January 2014 (UTC)
Does one detect a pattern, dear reader?

If you do, pay attention to the next bit... It'll knock your socks off...
Spanish translations

Laura, I hope to close the AN discussion about you. In that discussion, you indicated a willingness to keep your translated-from-Spanish drafts in a sandbox area until they are vetted by someone competent in Spanish. Have you found a corps of willing translation helpers (either in the Wikipedia community or in your real life in Spain)? --Orlady (talk) 05:06, 30 January 2014 (UTC)

I can do it. It's one of the most impressive efforts I have ever seen in Wikipedia, and it deserves full cooperation. Laura, just ping me when you need me to check something. Cheers. Raystorm (¿Sí?) 06:34, 30 January 2014 (UTC)

I would accept @Raystorm: as a person supervising my Spanish work on English Wikipedia. --LauraHale (talk) 06:36, 30 January 2014 (UTC)

Awesome news! --Orlady (talk) 14:49, 30 January 2014 (UTC)

I've closed the discussion at Wikipedia:Administrators'_noticeboard/Archive258#Laura_Hale_topic_ban, with the following concluding statement:
Result: There is consensus that there is a pattern of significant translation errors (not merely "typos") in articles that User:LauraHale has written on the basis of Spanish-language sources. The proposal to ban LauraHale from using Spanish-language sources did not receive a consensus, but there is general support in this discussion for an arrangement that would ensure that her translations don't reach main space until they have been validated by someone with appropriate knowledge of Spanish and English. After User:Tony1 proposed a 90-day trial in which "any article text she creates and/or edits that is derived from Spanish-language sources should be worked on first in a sandbox, and be transferred into mainspace only when endorsed as acceptable" by someone with appropriate language skills, LauraHale said on this page that she would "accept a six month requirement that before I move any article to the main space that heavily relies on Spanish language sources, that it be vetted by a native language Spanish speaker who has read all the sources and checked the accuracy of my text against the article, and then have that person comment on the draft article talk page before moving it." There was only limited discussion of this proposal, with some support and most objections focused on skepticism about the feasibility of getting people to do the requested reviews. On LauraHale's talk page, User:Raystorm has graciously indicated a willingness to oversee LauraHale's Spanish work. Seeing that Raystorm's multilingual abilities are demonstrated by work on several versions of Wikipedia and this user has a strong interest in sport-related topics, this arrangement appears to be a very satisfactory plan for addressing the concerns that led to this discussion. Accordingly, for the next 6 months (until July 30, 2014), LauraHale will place any articles based on translations from Spanish in a sandbox and will not move them to main space until Raystorm (or another user with similar language skills) has indicated that the translations are satisfactory. LauraHale is reminded that if problems continue to be detected during this period, this plan will need to be revisited -- and is likely to be replaced by a more severe restriction. It is to be hoped that by the end of this period, either LauraHale's Spanish will have improved to the point that she no longer needs this assistance, or she will recognize the need to continue the arrangement voluntarily.
Here's hoping that the 6-month process goes well. (And maybe it will provide opportunities to submit alternative translations to Google in order to improve Google's translation databases so that it no longer mangles some of the terminology that apparently created trouble in the past.) --Orlady (talk) 15:52, 30 January 2014 (UTC)
Totes normal.

Nothing to see here...
Obviously Fram was the bad guy here and the Laura Hale/Raystorm relationship has no hidden agendas.

Maria, you're going to need to resign.
Laura, you need to be SanFranBanned for trying to do this shit to someone else using Maria as your fulcrum.
WMF, you need to disband this Trust and Safety team and start over. Try to get some people with actual experience next time.
ARBCOM, you need to grow a fucking spine and get your collective testicles to descend.
Jimmy, you need to just fuck off completely, you useless shit.

You guys have been played. Hard.
I can't tell you how funny it is to watch this from the sidelines.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:Is it possible that all of the lesbian stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... /LauraHale makes her in breach of COI? Wouldn't like to be the one who drops that warning message on her talk page :evilgrin:
It might be interesting to note that she hasn't edited since the FramBan. (So will WMFOffice bans for one year be subsequently called Frambans?)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 pm

rhindle wrote:
Jans Hammer wrote:Is it possible that all of the lesbian stuff https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... /LauraHale makes her in breach of COI? Wouldn't like to be the one who drops that warning message on her talk page :evilgrin:
It might be interesting to note that she hasn't edited since the FramBan. (So will WMFOffice bans for one year be subsequently called Frambans?)
SamFramBams

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Vigilant wrote:
rhindle wrote:
SamFramBams
SamFramBam Thank you Ma'am

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Some people are just so unlucky...they are harassed again and again and again.

Here is LauraHale (T-C-L) complaining about Tony1 (T-C-L):
Hello,

I am sending this e-mail on behalf of bidgee, who is currently working to
support the Paralympic project efforts alongside me while we are in Denver,
Colorado. Myself and bidgee are a bit stressed at the moment because both
of us are people who like to succeed at whatever we do.

It has come to my attention, through Bidgee, that tony1 has sent bidgee an
e-mail accusing Bidgee of waging a covert campaign against tony1. I want
to categorically say that neither bidgee nor I (and likely not hawkeye7
whom I have not spoken to since in almost a week) are waging any campaign
against tony1/tony stosur. I am posting this publicly because tony1 is
demanding transparency, even as tony1 wages his own covert campaign of
harrassment against a fellow member of Wikimedia Australia that
fundamentally undermines one of the programs that the Foundation holds in
high esteem for its success rates.

I can tell you, on behalf of bidgee and myself, we have zero desire to wage
a campaign against tony1, covert or overt. The extent to which bidgee has
done anything to tony1 was to second a proposal by another member that
asked for tony1 to be sanctioned for violating the member list policy
regarding private e-mails. This proposal, made by one member and supported
by two others, is one the board has failed to act on in a timely manner and
possibly in violation of Victorian rules for governance. This is the
extent to which bidgee has done anything, covert or overt, against tony1.
Bidgee did this in defense of another member, something others clearly
recognised as a problem as two others were involved in this.

On behalf of myself and on behalf of bidgee, I want to re-affirm that
neither bidgee nor I have any plans to go after tony1. It is now up to the
board to act, and has been for some time.

I will repeat what was hinted at on Wikipedia: I want to avoid engagement
with tony1 at all costs. I would like a complete interaction ban with him.
This extends to tony1 on Wikipedia (where he attacks my grammar and
bidgee's grammer), and on Wikinews (which tony was trying to get shut down
and suggested that one of the admins there committ suicide). I want, and I
ask on bidgee's behalf, for tony1 to completely disengage from myself and
from bidgee. I BEG and PLEAD and BEG tony1 to stop sending bidgee e-mails.
I promise: Our goal is to be left alone by you and outside of leaving the
chapter (where participation is now limited) and the projects we are
involved in (sports and riverina, New South Wales), we promise to leave you
alone and not engage you.

We are not after you tony1. PLease stop coming after us.

Sincerely,
Laura Hale
link

This, after -1- email from Tony1 to Lauras then friend Bidgee (T-C-L)

Alas Tony1 (T-C-L) "survived", Racepacket (T-C-L) wasn't that lucky, after Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Racepacket (T-H-L)

One of Racepacket great crimes was that he outed LauraHale....as Laura Hale! Shame on you, Racepacket!
He got an interaction ban with LauraHale (now, where did I hear this before?), broke it twice...and was indeffed.

Guys and gals: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you!! :blink:

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:08 pm

...On LauraHale's talk page, User:Raystorm has graciously indicated a willingness to oversee LauraHale's Spanish work. Seeing that Raystorm's multilingual abilities are demonstrated by work on several versions of Wikipedia and this user has a strong interest in sport-related topics, this arrangement appears to be a very satisfactory plan for addressing the concerns that led to this discussion. Accordingly, for the next 6 months (until July 30, 2014), LauraHale will place any articles based on translations from Spanish in a sandbox and will not move them to main space until Raystorm (or another user with similar language skills) has indicated that the translations are satisfactory. LauraHale is reminded that if problems continue to be detected during this period, this plan will need to be revisited -- and is likely to be replaced by a more severe restriction. It is to be hoped that by the end of this period, either LauraHale's Spanish will have improved to the point that she no longer needs this assistance, or she will recognize the need to continue the arrangement voluntarily.
Here's hoping that the 6-month process goes well. (And maybe it will provide opportunities to submit alternative translations to Google in order to improve Google's translation databases so that it no longer mangles some of the terminology that apparently created trouble in the past.) --Orlady (talk) 15:52, 30 January 2014 (UTC)
Obviously most people won't have read this far, but just for the record, Ms. Hale basically stopped working in Spanish-language-sourced articles altogether for nearly two years after this "6-month process" was put in place. She did a large number of "gnome" edits to articles about various national sports teams for about two weeks, and then took what amounted to a 22-month break.

So on the surface at least, it looks like a dodge, plain and simple. Quite possibly with Ms. Sefidari's full cooperation, knowing she wouldn't have to lift a finger afterwards - indeed, a truly cynical person might well conclude it was her idea.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Recall the greatest shock of modern times
those golden victories
those scarlet crimes!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:26 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Recall the greatest shock of modern times
those golden victories
those scarlet crimes!
Handily confirming her role in this debacle and outing herself in the process.

Good thing Trust and Safety went to all those extraordinary lengths and pissed everyone off.

Going to need a forensic examination of this situation now.

Capeo
Regular
Wikipedia User: Capeo

Unread post by Capeo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 pm

The Adversary wrote:Alas Tony1 (T-C-L) "survived", Racepacket (T-C-L) wasn't that lucky, after Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Racepacket (T-H-L)

One of Racepacket great crimes was that he outed LauraHale....as Laura Hale! Shame on you, Racepacket!
He got an interaction ban with LauraHale (now, where did I hear this before?), broke it twice...and was indeffed.

Guys and gals: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you!! :blink:
That Arb case is really something. Hale flipped out yet there’s a bunch of people more worried about how claims of plagiarism could damage Hale’s standing as an “academic.” There’s ample evidence that Hale was trying ram crappy articles through the process, was asking for help behind the scenes, was OWNing everything Netball related, and reacted to even the most routine suggestions by lashing out to a ridiculous level, including leveling claims of harassment and sexism. During the workshop she ludicrously asked for IBans and TBans on 3 people, due to possible sexism and regionalism, and one of those people weren’t even involved in the case.

Her articles were full of unsourced statements, horrible grammar, and even images that didn’t represent what she said they did, yet most of the Arbs, even though that was the source of the conflict, said we don’t deal with content issues. When someone is trying to force crap through a content review process you can’t ignore the fucking content that’s central to conflict. That’s evidence. The Arbs were even aware that Hale was trying to force her article through GA and FA as part of a grant proposal by the end, and still let Hale and Hawkeye7 off. How Hawkeye7 kept the bit is mind boggling. They had an undisclosed COI due to which they made an involved block and stepped in to fast-track Hale’s articles through content review. The only Arb who showed some semblance of common sense was Risker, but not enough.

Capeo
Regular
Wikipedia User: Capeo

Unread post by Capeo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:40 am

Eissfeldt is giving statements on on the case request page and the FBAN page. Nothing much said. As far as the idiocy of the WMF employing him has the head of T&S? I already gave my opinion on that.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:00 am

Moral Hazard wrote:Just stop.
I'm with KW on this.

Who one sleeps with or why is completely irrelevant here.

The fact is that she is a "well connected complainant," and that gave the good German at the head of T&S pretext to drop the hammer on a long-term thorn in the side of WMF.

That doesn't make Fram swell or intimate the WMF board chair is the least bit involved here.

The issue is WMF starting to micromanage behavior for the first time on En-WP, with their glorious secret discussions and unquestionable, unappealable, and irrevocable decisions.

That shit needs to be stopped here and now.

Focus.

RfB
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:40 am

As a public service, here is the tweet from the Women in Red twitter account that comes up in the on-wiki discussion. It has since been deleted.
The admin involved is well known for breaking Wiki rules. The Foundation are unable to talk about the real crimes because of privacy but the admins supporters on wiki are not letting that stop them. Ashamed of them.
I think it is clear that "real crimes" is not meant to be taken literally, but it implies that there's more to the story and that some people claim to have knowledge of it.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:45 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:As a public service, here is the tweet from the Women in Red twitter account that comes up in the on-wiki discussion. It has since been deleted.
The admin involved is well known for breaking Wiki rules. The Foundation are unable to talk about the real crimes because of privacy but the admins supporters on wiki are not letting that stop them. Ashamed of them.
I think it is clear that "real crimes" is not meant to be taken literally, but it implies that there's more to the story and that some people claim to have knowledge of it.
Off wiki harassment linked to a known on wiki group.

Sounds like they should disband the group.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:47 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:As a public service, here is the tweet from the Women in Red twitter account that comes up in the on-wiki discussion. It has since been deleted.
Hey, I was just previewing my post of that.

Rosiestep deleted the tweet after complaints from the angry mob, because "the wording lacked precision".

Someone mentioned somewhere that they put WP:FRAM into a word processor a couple of days ago, and it was 1600 pages long.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:31 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Who one sleeps with or why is completely irrelevant here.

The fact is that she is a "well connected complainant," and that gave the good German at the head of T&S pretext to drop the hammer on a long-term thorn in the side of WMF.
Maybe it would be irrelevant, if the WMF wasn't doing such a terrible job of managing their users' perceptions. It would be nice if they were better at it, actually. Either way, we're not here to help them hide their failings, we're here to do exactly the opposite of that.

The fact that Mr. Fram singled out (or "targeted" if you prefer) Laura Hale for persistent criticism and scrutiny, combined with the fact that he can inarguably be a complete twat towards people, does not mean Wikipedia doesn't have a Laura Hale problem. They do have a Laura Hale problem, and if they just ignore it as they pursue their chosen course of action, their users are naturally going to continue to be pissed off. (If they're lucky, she'll take another 2-year break and if she comes back at all, it'll be under another account name.) More importantly, not only will this sort of action fail to solve their overall sexist-harassment problem, it could actually make it a lot worse.

And it's especially unfortunate that they made the comparison to Gamergate, because Gamergate started out as a sex-for-exposure scandal. There are still people who believe that the whole sad business would have vanished into irrelevance in a week or two, if the people being accused of "corruption" had admitted that the whole thing looked bad for them and promised to do better - but because they didn't, the drama attracted so many misogynist haters and psychopaths that it got completely out of control. (I'm not saying I agree with this, since there clearly appeared to be quite a few haters and psychopaths involved right from the jump, but who knows.) So, every time they say "actually this is just like Gamergate" in defense of the WMF, they're basically just drawing more attention to the fact that there's a suspected/perceived sex scandal involved. (And frankly, it almost looks more like the Qworty situation than Gamergate, though nowhere near as malice-driven of course.)
Randy from Boise wrote:That doesn't Fram swell or intimate the WMF board chair is the least bit involved here.
Sorry, but that came out a bit muddled...? :huh:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:59 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:That doesn't Fram swell or intimate the WMF board chair is the least bit involved here.
Sorry, but that came out a bit muddled...? :huh:
Verbs are good...

That doesn't MAKE Fram swell or intimate...

RfB

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:14 am

tarantino wrote:
Hey, I was just previewing my post of that.

Rosiestep deleted the tweet after complaints from the angry mob, because "the wording lacked precision".

Someone mentioned somewhere that they put WP:FRAM into a word processor a couple of days ago, and it was 1600 pages long.
The unformatted text runs about 200 pages, and there's about 107,000 words. Regarding the WiR tweet, I wonder if Fram now has a case to make regarding his "safety," now that a prominent Wikiproject is "attacking" him. "Safety" and keeping Wikipedia a "safe space" seem to be Jan's big points.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:40 am

MrErnie wrote:The unformatted text runs about 200 pages, and there's about 107,000 words. Regarding the WiR tweet, I wonder if Fram now has a case to make regarding his "safety," now that a prominent Wikiproject is "attacking" him. "Safety" and keeping Wikipedia a "safe space" seem to be Jan's big points.
If the related content at Wales, Arbcom, 'Crats, Pump and many other locations is added, this is heading into War & Peace territory - circa 1230 pages.
:popcorn:

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:18 am

People should write out "Women in Red" or "Wikipedian in Residence", because both are abbreviated by "WIR"/"WiR".
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Guido den Broeder
Critic

Unread post by Guido den Broeder » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 am

MrErnie wrote:The unformatted text runs about 200 pages, and there's about 107,000 words. Regarding the WiR tweet, I wonder if Fram now has a case to make regarding his "safety," now that a prominent Wikiproject is "attacking" him. "Safety" and keeping Wikipedia a "safe space" seem to be Jan's big points.
No, since it's not his real name.

Silent Editor
Regular
Wikipedia Review Member: Silent Editor

Unread post by Silent Editor » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 am

Moral Hazard wrote:People should write out "Women in Red" or "Wikipedian in Residence", because both are abbreviated by "WIR"/"WiR".
It would be interesting to see a Venn diagram: my feeling is that there is a reasonable overlap of the two groups.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 am

So the conclusion of this situation far seems to be;

* Fram was harassing some random WiR editor as usual, normal day on Wikipedia.
* This editor personally knew someone from the WMF and reported it to trust and safety.
* The WMF remembered they hated Fram and seized the opportunity to impose a ban.
* Other en-wiki admins like Fram freaked out and attempted to reject the WMFs authority.
* The WMF explained a number of times this was an office action and perfectly valid.

fin
Globally banned after 7 years.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 am

WMFOffice blocked Fram @17:41, 10 June 2019. The video posted below was published on June 11, 2019.

Exploring the gender gap in Wikipedia editors

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 am

Let me clarify things for you there, son.
Dysklyver wrote:So the conclusion of this situation far seems to be;

* Fram was harassing some random WiR editor as usual, normal day on Wikipedia.
Fram was fighting against a serial garbage producer who is also a professional victim.
LauraHale has created hundreds, if not thousands, of worthless error ridden stubs.
There's plagiarism, copy/paste, spelling and grammar errors, lack of notability, lack of sources, lying in the article ("Netball is an Olympic sport!")etc, etc

Laura Hale makes garbage articles.
Fram hates that shit.
Dysklyver wrote:* This editor personally knew someone from the WMF and reported it to trust and safety.
This 'editor' is fucking the Chair of the Board of Trustees and has wormed her way into a position to falsely complain to other groups.
The Chair of the Board of Trustees has formally mentored Laura Hale on en.wp.
There's no way that any professional ethics adviser on the planet wouldn't have flagged this conflict of interest to the Chair.

But, this is wikipedia and all we have are the left side of the bell curve employed at the WMF.
Sycophantic behavior is expected and rewarded.
Dysklyver wrote:* The WMF remembered they hated Fram and seized the opportunity to impose a ban.
The WeMakeFailures engineering team was also likely fist pumping and taking shots when this occurred.
Fram has pointed out more of their ineptitude on en.wp than any other single user.
He's made them back away from stupid decisions.

For people of limited capability and competence, that must be utterly maddening.
Dysklyver wrote:* Other en-wiki admins like Fram freaked out and attempted to reject the WMFs authority.
Everyone who has ever studied history and the rise of fascism got cold chills and said, "WTFOMGBBQ?!?!"

I laughed, but that's me.
Dysklyver wrote:* The WMF explained a number of times this was an office action and perfectly valid.
The WMF and all of its sycophants flailed around trying to make the case for valid authoritarianism.
Most people weren't buying and everything exploded.
Last edited by Vigilant on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Don't forget that Fram has had more successful Arbcom cases submitted than probably anyone else and has basically turned the Arbcom into his own hatchet squad.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 pm

No Ledge wrote:WMFOffice blocked Fram @17:41, 10 June 2019. The video posted below was published on June 11, 2019.

Exploring the gender gap in Wikipedia editors
@1:22: "People can get harassed when they're editing content in Wikipedia: simple things of their edits being what they call 'reverted', receiving unwanted sexual advances, stalking them at these offline events..."

Unwanted sexual advances and stalking people at offline events are unquestionably harassment and I think virtually everyone wants that cracked down on, hard.

Having your edits reverted can definitely feel like harassment, and can certainly be a tool someone can use to harass somebody, so I get why it's included in that list. But of course reverting edits is also something people do routinely with no attention paid whatsoever to the person who made the original edit, so that juxtaposition is going to be seen by a lot of people as jarring or inappropriate.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Mason wrote:Having your edits reverted can definitely feel like harassment, and can certainly be a tool someone can use to harass somebody, so I get why it's included in that list. But of course reverting edits is also something people do routinely with no attention paid whatsoever to the person who made the original edit, so that juxtaposition is going to be seen by a lot of people as jarring or inappropriate.
:like: Unlike incivility, there is a well-established procedure for dealing with "harassment-by-edit-reversion". Is that not working?

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Sideways connection: Mike Mandiberg, aka Theredproject (T-C-L) has something to do with that group. He doesn't appear in their member list but his suspected (by me) sock ThatMontrealIP (T-C-L) does, plus he gets their newsletter and his Wiki username is an obvious giveaway.

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:23 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Mason wrote:Having your edits reverted can definitely feel like harassment, and can certainly be a tool someone can use to harass somebody, so I get why it's included in that list. But of course reverting edits is also something people do routinely with no attention paid whatsoever to the person who made the original edit, so that juxtaposition is going to be seen by a lot of people as jarring or inappropriate.
:like: Unlike incivility, there is a well-established procedure for dealing with "harassment-by-edit-reversion". Is that not working?
I think the point is that some editors don't realise they can revert back and that there are rules that protect them against constant reversion. If someone reverts a new editor, they may just give up and go away after the first or second revert.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Rob clarifies his retirement:
And in doing so, reject the only form we currently have of tackling on-wiki harassment successfully. I want to be very clear. I am not contributing on the English Wikipedia because I do not feel safe here. I would hope that would give some people pause. ~ Rob13Talk 17:10, 14 June 2019 (UTC)
Rob, will you continue to participate here? Do you consider it harassment when an administrator or experienced editor routinely undoes or tags the edits of error prone editors? According to a video linked above some now consider simply reverting to be harassment. If this is really the way harassment is defined moving forward then we're going to see some really big changes. Certain editors camping controversial areas could be in the crosshairs now. And certainly Sandstein, with all his zeal dropping sanctions at AE should be banned. I certainly wouldn't feel safe being reported at AE. If nobody wants to correct errors in the articles, how is that advancing the project goals? I agree with you on some points of what you say, but if Fram is the standard serial harasser, well that's an extremely low bar.

Guido den Broeder
Critic

Unread post by Guido den Broeder » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
No Ledge wrote:
I think the point is that some editors don't realise they can revert back and that there are rules that protect them against constant reversion. If someone reverts a new editor, they may just give up and go away after the first or second revert.
The more accurate point is that some users are allowed to revert ad infinitum, while others find themselves blocked after a single revert, and that Arbcom is and has always been clueless regarding such matters.

Guido den Broeder
Critic

Unread post by Guido den Broeder » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:I think it is clear that "real crimes" is not meant to be taken literally, but it implies that there's more to the story and that some people claim to have knowledge of it.
As a victim of many real crimes committed by Wikipedians, I would take that very literally.

No Ledge
Habitué

Unread post by No Ledge » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
No Ledge wrote:
OK, presumably if the new editor is that clueless, then they also are unaware that they can file a complaint with the Wikimedia Foundation.

There should be a simple solution for this. The software already quite capably detects edit-reversions and pings an editor to notify them when when one of their edits is reverted. The software could also (and I don't think this should be difficult to implement) deploy, by default, a big popup notice explaining what just happened, with a link to the policy page behind that, and explain that the editor is allowed to "revert the revert" but they should either/or explain why in their edit summary/start a conversation about the edit on the talk page. This popup would continue happening everytime the new editor's edits were reverted, until they clicked the check box saying "OK, I get it, please don't display this pop-up explanation again".

Oh, and if they are blocked, as a preventative measure in the event that the blocking admin didn't have a valid reason to block, or didn't leave any boilerplate template on their user talk, or heaven forbid even turned off their rights to edit their talk page, then a popup should explain that if they wish to appeal their block this is what they can do... including the option to email the WMF directly.