Lourdes vs. WBG: Was making Lourdes an admin a mistake?

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
chad100
Critic
kołdry

Lourdes vs. WBG: Was making Lourdes an admin a mistake?

Unread post by chad100 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:29 am

WBG, there's no room for aggressive comments like yours at WP:AFCP. You want to lighten your anger-load, do it somewhere else please. You close one more thread at that page, you'll be blocked by me probably indefinitely until you agree to not close any other threads. I have no patience in this regard and no time to waste. So understand and really, move on to being a gentler person. Lourdes 13:23, 9 May 2019 (UTC)
Wow, really? Go, block me, then. Nobody was closing threads and you do not own AFCP. ∯WBGconverse 13:42, 9 May 2019 (UTC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Lourdes#No

C&B
Habitué

Re: Loundres vs WBG.Making Loundies a admin a mistake ?

Unread post by C&B » Fri May 10, 2019 10:45 am

This is Lourdes (T-C-L) continuing her civility drive, having fucked it up elsewhere.

I believe it was Beeblebrox who said here that she has been a great disappointment as an admin. She's certainly not disproving him.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri May 10, 2019 3:12 pm

A bunch of the Wikidorks have cringeworthy schoolboy crushes her because she's cute and a popular musician. So no doubt a bunch of them are rushing to her defense as we speak.

chad100
Critic

Unread post by chad100 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:A bunch of the Wikidorks have cringeworthy schoolboy crushes her because she's cute and a popular musician. So no doubt a bunch of them are rushing to her defense as we speak.
Popular musician .Who is she ?

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri May 10, 2019 3:39 pm

chad100 wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:A bunch of the Wikidorks have cringeworthy schoolboy crushes her because she's cute and a popular musician. So no doubt a bunch of them are rushing to her defense as we speak.
Popular musician .Who is she ?
I can't remember anymore, but I remember some discussion of this back when she passed her RfA and then kept waffling on when she wanted the tools assigned to her.

EDIT: I remembered

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Lourdes vs. WBG: Was making Lourdes an admin a mistake?

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 pm

It's quite a rarity to have an admin who's notable IRL, though of course that doesn't necessarily make her a good admin.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Re: Lourdes vs. WBG

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 pm

C&B wrote:This is Lourdes (T-C-L) continuing her civility drive...
Fair assessment, but what it really boils down to is yet another example of how "AGF" is increasingly looking like a failed strategy in the context of the increasingly-shitty modern internet. (IMO.) In this case you had some dude calling himself SSSB (T-C-L) who probably started an article a while ago and had it deleted, and became so incensed by the experience that he decided to get revenge by becoming a New Page Patroller and slapping "Speedy Delete" tags on any new article that doesn't look fully-sourced and complete within 10 minutes of the initial edit.

Now, I personally wouldn't (and don't) have any problem with Mr. SSSB's behavior, but I'd imagine that most established Wikipedians find it extremely irritating at best, including Mr. Winged-Blades - who is also a member here, so perhaps he could explain further.

Either way, User:Lourdes (T-C-L) is basically taking on the role of the referee who penalizes the player who throws the first punch in the on-field dust-up while letting the real culprit, who initially kneed that person in the ribs during the pile-on, get off scot-free. Which is also irritating, but it doesn't make Lourdes a bad admin, just a typical one.

BURob13
Contributor

Unread post by BURob13 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:35 am

Am I like ... really missing something here in saying that this is just Lourdes telling a non-admin not to patrol a page that is explicitly to be patrolled by admins? There have been a couple times when I've had to tell well-meaning but misguided editors to stop trying to clerk pages where they literally do not have the tools to action a request, though that was more at PERM.

I didn't read this as having anything to do with the specific case, but rather that a non-admin was trying to review what is effectively a request for permissions, which only admins can grant. That they were being rude on top of that probably dictated the tone of the warning from Lourdes, but that's about it.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 pm

The discussion has been hatted as "Irrelevant diatribe" and Lourdes says
WBG, you probably misinterpret warnings to your benefit. You were/are being warned of a block if you continue reviewing requests at WP:AFCP. I'm glad that you've stopped frequenting that desk. We don't need editors like you messing up the project with your toxic spiel. Please move on and basically stop behaving like a spoilt child. Hopefully, you'll stay off this page and the AFCP page as it seems you've got the point well rubbed in (phew). Thanks. Lourdes 16:38, 10 May 2019 (UTC)

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Sat May 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Lourdes left a nice message on my talk page. She's allright. Enforcing civility might seem pedantic, but it requires bravery since you will be going against many establishment users.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sun May 12, 2019 9:07 am

Pudeo wrote:Lourdes left a nice message on my talk page. She's allright. Enforcing civility might seem pedantic, but it requires bravery since you will be going against many establishment users.
WBG needs to be regularly taken down a step or 3. He has a nasty, superior way about him and despite frequent run-ins doesn't seem to be getting the message. Also likes to give the impression - and worse, never denies - that he is an Admin. I am pleased to see Lourdes sticking it to him.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun May 12, 2019 11:56 am

I've never had a problem with Lourdes myself but I will say the Beeblebrox doesn't have room to talk about civility or the disappointment of being an admin IMO. Lourdes may not be perfect but she's better than a lot of others like Bbb23, floquenbum, Courcelles, Drmies, etc. All of whom are far more problematic, but in different ways.

Also, I think it's likely that User:Russianrednews is probably an old unnamed account of Lourdes so. That might be a socking issue.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sun May 12, 2019 12:20 pm

BURob13 wrote:Am I like ... really missing something here in saying that this is just Lourdes telling a non-admin not to patrol a page that is explicitly to be patrolled by admins? There have been a couple times when I've had to tell well-meaning but misguided editors to stop trying to clerk pages where they literally do not have the tools to action a request, though that was more at PERM.

I didn't read this as having anything to do with the specific case, but rather that a non-admin was trying to review what is effectively a request for permissions, which only admins can grant. That they were being rude on top of that probably dictated the tone of the warning from Lourdes, but that's about it.
It's actually common for non admins to "clerk" these pages. Many requests dont meet the requirements so they dont require admin action. Just someone to tell them not yet.

Dont forget there are a lot of editors, myself inckuded, who may not be admins but have been editing far longer and know more than many to most of the admins. Just because they arent admins doesn't always mean they dont know what they are talking about. Of course being rude about it is different.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Sun May 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Kumioko wrote:Also, I think it's likely that User:Russianrednews is probably an old unnamed account of Lourdes so. That might be a socking issue.
All things being equal, you're probably right; but Russianrednews (T-C-L) last edited (only edited, in fact) on 26th August 2014, and Lourdes' account wasn't created until December the following year, so no socking issue. Although that username should've got them a softblock :)
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 pm

You could argue that turning down these requests is not much different in principle from a non-admin "keep" close of an AfD.

chad100
Critic

Unread post by chad100 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:06 am

C&B wrote:
Kumioko wrote:Also, I think it's likely that User:Russianrednews is probably an old unnamed account of Lourdes so. That might be a socking issue.
All things being equal, you're probably right; but Russianrednews (T-C-L) last edited (only edited, in fact) on 26th August 2014, and Lourdes' account wasn't created until December the following year, so no socking issue. Although that username should've got them a softblock :)
She concealed User:Russianrednews in the RFA ? . (I have two alternative accounts: LourdesBot(approval) and ❤️(usage policy) Briefly, I was also User:Wìkìpe-tan at Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Wikipe-tan. I have never been a paid editor.) Thanks, Lourdes 02:49, 19 February 2018 (UTC)

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 am

chad100 wrote:
C&B wrote:
She concealed User:Russianrednews in the RFA ? . (I have two alternative accounts: LourdesBot(approval) and ❤️(usage policy) Briefly, I was also User:Wìkìpe-tan at Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Wikipe-tan. I have never been a paid editor.) Thanks, Lourdes 02:49, 19 February 2018 (UTC)
Also, her Lourdes account started off as Xander Lourdes before being renamed., so that one should have probably been mentioned as well. That's not such a big deal since it was a rename and can easily be found.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Mon May 13, 2019 3:33 am

WBG can certainly stop being so nasty sometimes; but if this is about non-admin declines at AFCP, unless if WBG is making controversial declines rather than declining frivolous requests, Lourdes have no business in making a block threat even if WBG is being mean about people who don't read the guidelines (in which I assume is what ticked him off, without me reading the context). There is a lot of bureaucracy in AFC that has turned into rather a pet project for few, not really a hill for anyone to die on.

In any case, this is certainly not as irritating for these admins with big egos when compared to Oshwah turning down unblock requests before his successful RfA not so long ago ;)

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:EDIT: I remembered
In January 2013, Hernández went to live in Los Angeles where she prepared and recorded her third studio album, Agent Cooper. Recorded at Sunset studios in Los Angeles, this third album brings together some of the best professionals in the American music scene.
Only the best unsourced puffery

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 pm

I've never worked AFPC, but I have on a number of occasions gently discouraged self-appointed "clerks" at UAA and PERM. The reason is simple: any request or report on these boards will be reviewed by an admin, and they will look at the same material whether another user has already done so or not, so unless they have something that really is not obvious to bring to the table, these comments are just useless noise and don't affect the outcome.

I'll admit I was less than gentle when one KoshVorlon (T-C-L) appointed himself as a UAA clerk, he wound up banned at the end of that episode.

And actually that's a perfect example of the type of person who usually does this sort of thing: admin wannabes with a shallow understanding of policy but who want to look like they have tha powah to do something to other users.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:...And actually that's a perfect example of the type of person who usually does this sort of thing: admin wannabes with a shallow understanding of policy but who want to look like they have tha powah to do something to other users.
This related to quite a few admin wannabe's. shouldn't be's and will never be's.

A couple examples are Beyond My Ken and Binksternet but there are plenty of others. They loiter around the drama boards and Arbcom and pontificate on what they think of X, Y or Z.