WMF Board Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019 election

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

WMF Board Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019 election

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Another round of the ever popular "get yourself on the WMF Board" game.

Does anyone here in good stead fancy being an election facilitator?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Re: WMF Board Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019 election

Unread post by Jim » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:06 am

Poetlister wrote:Another round of the ever popular "get yourself on the WMF Board" game.

Does anyone here in good stead fancy being an election facilitator?
I note that the page you link to shows Jimbo's seat as "Term ends: December 31, 2018", linking to this page, which states: "Resolved, that Jimmy Wales is appointed to an additional three-year term to the Board of Trustees. His term begins January 1, 2016 and will continue until December 31, 2018."

Given that the also linked Board of Trustees/Restructure Announcement Q&A says:
The Founder's seat will be appointed by the Board. It is reserved for Jimmy Wales, but in the event that Jimmy no longer wants to serve, or the Board declines for any reason to appoint him, that seat will disappear.
it is unclear to me whether Jimmy technically/legally holds a seat at present, his board appointed term having expired. Of course, the board hasn't "declined to appoint him", merely apparently not yet reappointed him - still I'd expect the wikilawyers on the mailing lists to be all over the issue, even if (because?) it's ultimately academic.

Of course, the possibility also exists that he has been reappointed, or the 'rules' have changed but they haven't updated the page(s).

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Maybe they deferred it to the next meeing and meanwhile the status quo ante remains.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Jim wrote:it is unclear to me whether Jimmy technically/legally holds a seat at present, his board appointed term having expired. Of course, the board hasn't "declined to appoint him", merely apparently not yet reappointed him - still I'd expect the wikilawyers on the mailing lists to be all over the issue, even if (because?) it's ultimately academic.

Of course, the possibility also exists that he has been reappointed, or the 'rules' have changed but they haven't updated the page(s).
This is what happens when you start lengthening terms, in this case to three years - you think you're saving yourself some trouble, but it's too far in advance to put on your smartphone calendar at the time, and nobody wants to sync with the organization's calendar (if there even is one), so everybody just forgets to renew the appointment. It's not like Jimbo is actually around, or showing any interest in what the WMF is doing at the moment, so he probably forgot too. And as for updating the web pages, it's probably even harder still to get anybody interested in doing scut-work like that. That's what the marks are for, after all.

We won't see an explanation of this from them, either.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:48 pm

I keep a note of dates a long way ahead in a Word file and check it once a month to see if anything's coming up. Lo-tech is less unreliable!

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Poetlister wrote:I keep a note of dates a long way ahead in a Word file and check it once a month to see if anything's coming up. Lo-tech is less unreliable!
Good plan, but let's face it, you've got like, what, 30 billion sock-puppet accounts to keep track of at any given moment, right? All with different daily schedules and IP addresses. So naturally you're going to use the most reliable method(s) available, but these WMF people don't have that excuse - I'll bet most of them are only using two or three WP accounts at any given time.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:Good plan, but let's face it, you've got like, what, 30 billion sock-puppet accounts to keep track of at any given moment, right?
Come off it. Compared to people like Kumioko and Mr. Kohs, I come absolutely nowhere in the sock stakes.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:08 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:Good plan, but let's face it, you've got like, what, 30 billion sock-puppet accounts to keep track of at any given moment, right?
Come off it. Compared to people like Kumioko and Mr. Kohs, I come absolutely nowhere in the sock stakes.
Yeah, maybe a milliard accounts, tops.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

selmahyzerman
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Selma is my dead great aunt
Actual Name: Jason George Ronald

Unread post by selmahyzerman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:16 am

Alternate realities notwithstanding, these users have zero chance of ever being granted one of these board seats ever:

Grawp, Willy on Wheels (BU Rob13's current account doesn't count), Beyond my Ken (couldn't even get a job as their waterboy), Russavia, Donald Trung (far more likely to arrested for something he did on a Wiki site), BMX on Wheels (i think they would agree), Rodhullandemu, Flooded with them hundreds (far more likely for FWTH to release a top 10 billboard single), Collect, Sashirolls.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 am

Where are those names from? I mean, are they standing?
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

selmahyzerman
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Selma is my dead great aunt
Actual Name: Jason George Ronald

Unread post by selmahyzerman » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:57 am

Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Yeah, maybe a milliard accounts, tops.
God knows how many sock accounts Beyond my Ken's admin master account has. Heck, the Ken sockpuppet itself has many socks (Behind my Ken, Ed Fitzgerald etc). The only different between BMK and BMX on Wheels is that BMK is disciplined by being publicly shamed on the drama boards in a passive aggressive way by a good chunk of Wiki regulars each and every time he opens his big mouth with his demeaning comments while BMX on Wheels is disciplined just by being RBRI'd (reverted, blocked, rev del'd and ignored). Both are connected to huge sock farms. BMK's admin master accounts other sock accounts (like possibly Tarage, EENG, Drmies etc) are disciplined in other ways like aggressive almost blocks as with Tarage) or being denied user rights (like Drmies's failed Arb bid in December).

Eddie Fitzgerald is an actor so he knows how to pose as other editors that's how he operates his huge sock farm which includes the BMK account and includes many other accounts some of which maybe accounts such as Drmies, Tarage, EENG, Ponyo, Epic Genius, money emoji, Legacypac etc. BMK will never be an admin but his other accounts have been admins and some will be admins. BMK is most likely one of Fitzgerald's bad had accounts like possibly his Tarage and EENG accounts.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:38 pm

selmahyzerman wrote:BMK ... Drmies, Tarage, EENG, Ponyo, Epic Genius, money emoji, Legacypac etc.
Historically this was a "cabal", but I suppose now it's all one person?

huh. :blink:
Globally banned after 7 years.

WBG
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Maybe WBG

Unread post by WBG » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:53 pm

selmahyzerman wrote:Alternate realities notwithstanding, these users have zero chance of ever being granted one of these board seats ever:

Grawp, Willy on Wheels (BU Rob13's current account doesn't count), Beyond my Ken (couldn't even get a job as their waterboy), Russavia, Donald Trung (far more likely to arrested for something he did on a Wiki site), BMX on Wheels (i think they would agree), Rodhullandemu, Flooded with them hundreds (far more likely for FWTH to release a top 10 billboard single), Collect, Sashirolls.
Is this a way of stating that you don't like them?

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:35 pm

I can see the advertisement now.

Do you lack the ability to write articles? Are you a sellout? Have you bullied more than 10 editors out of Wikipedia? If you answered yes to any of these questions you could be the next person to be elected to the WMF board of Untrustees!

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Tue May 28, 2019 12:32 pm

So voting closes in a few days, and you guys haven't reviewed the eleven candidates on the ballot yet. Where are the voter guides, to assist those affiliates who vote at the last minute?
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue May 28, 2019 3:42 pm

No Ledge wrote:So voting closes in a few days, and you guys haven't reviewed the eleven candidates on the ballot yet. Where are the voter guides, to assist those affiliates who vote at the last minute?
How many affiliates read this site? Few if any senior people at WMUK do, and I doubt that anyone from non-English speaking countries does.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 am

Never heard of any of them. But Art&Feminism endorsing Richard Nipple? Brilliant :)
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:41 pm

The election results are in:

"The successful candidates were Nataliia Tymkiv and Shani Evenstein Sigalov. A total of 122 affiliates voted, 85% of the 143 eligible to vote, which is a record."

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:39 am

Nataliia Tymkiv is Ukranian Antanana (T-C-L)

Shani Evenstein Sigalov is Israeli Esh77 (T-C-L)

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:12 am

That's got to be one of the most unreadably turgid texts ever written.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:02 pm

The Adversary wrote:Nataliia Tymkiv is Ukranian Antanana (T-C-L)

Shani Evenstein Sigalov is Israeli Esh77 (T-C-L)
It's good to get a perspective from outside the English-speaking world.