Where do we go from here?

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Where do we go from here?

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:07 pm

It's been a long and winding road from 2006 when I got interested in the dark underbelly of wikipedia.
Lots of people have come and gone for various reasons.

I want to start an open conversation on how we can change WO to make it less 'grindy' on the people who post here.

Lots of smart, driven people here who get tangled up with each other and end up leaving and that's a shame.
Our Mission:
We exist to shine the light of scrutiny into the dark crevices of Wikipedia and its related projects; to examine the corruption there, along with its structural flaws; and to inoculate the unsuspecting public against the torrent of misinformation, defamation, and general nonsense that issues forth from one of the world’s most frequently visited websites, the “encyclopedia that anyone can edit.”
What needs to be fixed/changed?
What do we need to do more of?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Where do we go from here?

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Do we want to concentrate on the broad sweep, such as the finacial shenanigans of the WMF? Do we want details, like the threads on missing articles and crap articles which might cumulatively dent people's confidence in Wikipedia?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Auggie
Regular

Unread post by Auggie » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:21 pm

#1 technical priority should be installing a phpBB style that is mobile-friendly. Thank me later.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 pm

We still need more volunteers, as zoloft outlined here.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:03 pm

My view is that personal frictions will always be there. In general, solidarity and collegiality should be built on what people actually accomplish together. As the latter becomes more prominent, the former can automatically fade into irrelevance. Here are some suggestions.

More blog posts and/or contacting press contacts, talking with WMF representatives for their POV etc. are all possible paths. Some people might not want to actually write stuff (it's hard work and often boring), so they can post their research on forums. But a lot more of the stuff should be viewed with an eye to potential blog posts.

Entertainment should be encouraged. I read a few months ago, a paper on the media, concentrating on the muckrakers in the early 20th century. The authors argue that entertainment is an especially important tool used by the media to get around "rational ignorance (T-H-L)" of large parts of the population.

Drama on Wikipedia is often entertaining. Even if it is bog-standard stuff, a topical angle can often be found. An example is TDA's recent article on Breitbart on the Google memo stuff (though it was mostly written in a straight tone).

A small suggestion. One can retweet the same blog post every three or four days on WO's Twitter account. Assuming that one has semi-regular posts, it would not feel like spam, and it will help to get more eyeballs.

Mostly, it just needs work.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:43 am

I wouldn't mind seeing the Forum switched off to new posts for 2 weeks out of every two or three months. Only collaborative threads (invitation only) would be open for joint production of blog posts. Our ticket to renewed relevance is to rebuild the process of producing finished product in the form of essays, news stories, and informal "studies" that people (especially journalists) will want to read, share, and re-publish.

We're basically not accomplishing much on the Forum any more, and I have a hunch it's actually stunting our resourcefulness in writing more thoughtful pieces suitable for the general public.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:10 am

I seem to recall someone wrote some thinkpieces: Performance art and activism and What is to be done? Perhaps there are some ideas there.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:27 am

When we first started this site, the blog was meant to be the centerpiece and go-to place. I agree with Greg that making the blog great again should be the number one priority. I resigned as the blog administrator due to time commitments, but from the discussions I've had with Zoloft and a SEO expert, we're heading in the right direction there. Hopefully, Zoloft can fill everyone else in on that.

I know we tried a journalist micro-grant (?) years ago to get budding reporters to write about Wikipedia. Why don't we actually pay writers/reporters to write for the blog from time-to-time? That would mean us getting money together to make it happen. We're all volunteers here and several have given up a lot of money keeping the site alive, but that also means there's less incentive to write.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:45 pm

The Joy wrote:I know we tried a journalist micro-grant (?) years ago to get budding reporters to write about Wikipedia. Why don't we actually pay writers/reporters to write for the blog from time-to-time?
While I feel like I did the most work trying to assemble the journalist micro-grant program, I was also most responsible for it not lifting off the launch pad.

In part, I think it was *too* organized with rules and plans and guidelines.

Maybe it would just be easier to announce that I will pay $50 per acceptable blog post for the rest of 2017, with the stipulation that I reserve the right to halt the program after $200 is spent. Let it hereby be so!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:43 pm

thekohser wrote:
The Joy wrote:I know we tried a journalist micro-grant (?) years ago to get budding reporters to write about Wikipedia. Why don't we actually pay writers/reporters to write for the blog from time-to-time?
While I feel like I did the most work trying to assemble the journalist micro-grant program, I was also most responsible for it not lifting off the launch pad.

In part, I think it was *too* organized with rules and plans and guidelines.

Maybe it would just be easier to announce that I will pay $50 per acceptable blog post for the rest of 2017, with the stipulation that I reserve the right to halt the program after $200 is spent. Let it hereby be so!
I'll pledge the next $200 after that.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:15 pm

From the other thread.
Isn't the fundamental issue that Wikipedia represents a wider sickness with the world - the rise of the inverted snobbery of the man in the street having more wisdom than the accredited expert?

That ill also afflicts Wikipediocracy to some extent, those who actually know something have to tolerate being treated as equals with the ignorant. It has become a sin to believe that the masses do not have the knowledge to contribute as equals to any discussion and issues resulting have to be tiptoed around.

If you want to get to the root of Wikipedia's problems, you have to look at the rapid transition of culture that has been inflicted upon us by the Internet (as a shorthand for the mix of modern media combined with the social media). It's a toxic mix of opinions being treated as facts, the right to holding a wrong opinion being held above the need to resolve issues correctly, a failure to grasp the fundamentals of the rights of free speech vs the extremist view that somehow extreme free speech lets the ignorant masses sort out the wheat from the chaff, the chase for clicks being more important than the need to inform correctly (I'm looking at the BBC which is in rapid decline becoming demand driven).

I've dipped into the forums for a read over the past few weeks and really found the contents uninspiring (but then again, that's why I left, and that realisation that Wikipedia was just a facet of a wider problem afflicting the modern world).

On that basis, looking back to discussions on the idea of the blog being more important than the forum, then I think you have to consider a closed, by invitation membership, where only those considered to make net contributions to the state of knowledge are given the space to promote their thinking. To pick an example, Vigilant refuses to suffer fools gladly, and back in the day would be taken to task for his vicious put downs, yet underneath the harsh exterior, he has shown himself a capable commentator on WMF technology. I suspect in a closed environment, his style of discourse would be quite different.

So:

1) You cannot disconnect the ills of Wikipedia from the wider ills of the world that to me appear to be driven by the cult of ignorance. Therefore, a focus on Wikipedia criticism will ultimately fail to diagnose the wider issues facing us.

2) Wikipedia just surfaced the cult of stupidity sooner and more clearly than media and politics.

3) The corrupt business practices of Jimbo (serial scam companies where he earns with no interest in the success of the venture) are worth following.

4) Consider a different structure of an editorial board and contributors rather than a debating shop. I'm not convinced that there is any benefit to the many eyes on Wikipedia - the core data and information has been gathered.

5) The forum can serve as a recruiting ground, but I think that the signal to noise ratio is extremely high. I think that the cult of extreme free speech has infected this site - historically being very reluctant to shut down disruptive members. Far more vicious moderation of members who are noise is required.

6) However, much you point out the stupidity of Wikipedia, the masses will ultimately not grasp the issue, or realise that they themselves are the target, because it challenges their right to believe that their opinions on everything are as valid as the next person's. Who, then, is the target of any generated wisdom of this site?

My 2d worth.
Implicit is that Trumpism & Brexit is part of the current debacle of the collapse of critical thinking as something to be aspired to.

Having been poked by Mr V, I think it would be sensible for people to spend a few minutes asking themselves what they are attempting to achieve. Myself, it was hoping to expose to the world how corrupt Wikipedia was, but when you realise that the world really doesn't give a shit as long as there is a proper documentation of Love Island episodes then it seems a rather pointless task and as government has abrogated its responsibility to lead and hides behind populism as the determinant of policy I struggle to see what the audience is. How do you link with other groups coming at the same problem from different perspectives?
Time for a new signature.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:02 pm

I rather like the idea, floated on anoher thread, of inviting over people who might not normally expect to spend time here. The suggestion in that instance was Sarah Stierch, and I would suggest Anna Stillwell (*). The format I propose would be a discussion in which the invited guest makes a reasonably long statement and there is a carefully and rigorously moderated question-and-answer or similar discussion.

(*) Although I am currently not sure that I personally can have much to discuss with her at the moment, I am sure that she would relish the opportunity to engage.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:33 pm

I believe that the idea of a question and answer session with a prominent Wikipedian was tried on another Wikipedia criticism site and wasn't a great success. Of course, that depends on getting the right person.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 pm

And on getting the right moderator.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:20 am

dogbiscuit wrote:
From the other thread.
Isn't the fundamental issue that Wikipedia represents a wider sickness with the world - the rise of the inverted snobbery of the man in the street having more wisdom than the accredited expert?

That ill also afflicts Wikipediocracy to some extent, those who actually know something have to tolerate being treated as equals with the ignorant. It has become a sin to believe that the masses do not have the knowledge to contribute as equals to any discussion and issues resulting have to be tiptoed around.

If you want to get to the root of Wikipedia's problems, you have to look at the rapid transition of culture that has been inflicted upon us by the Internet (as a shorthand for the mix of modern media combined with the social media). It's a toxic mix of opinions being treated as facts, the right to holding a wrong opinion being held above the need to resolve issues correctly, a failure to grasp the fundamentals of the rights of free speech vs the extremist view that somehow extreme free speech lets the ignorant masses sort out the wheat from the chaff, the chase for clicks being more important than the need to inform correctly (I'm looking at the BBC which is in rapid decline becoming demand driven).

I've dipped into the forums for a read over the past few weeks and really found the contents uninspiring (but then again, that's why I left, and that realisation that Wikipedia was just a facet of a wider problem afflicting the modern world).

On that basis, looking back to discussions on the idea of the blog being more important than the forum, then I think you have to consider a closed, by invitation membership, where only those considered to make net contributions to the state of knowledge are given the space to promote their thinking. To pick an example, Vigilant refuses to suffer fools gladly, and back in the day would be taken to task for his vicious put downs, yet underneath the harsh exterior, he has shown himself a capable commentator on WMF technology. I suspect in a closed environment, his style of discourse would be quite different.

So:

1) You cannot disconnect the ills of Wikipedia from the wider ills of the world that to me appear to be driven by the cult of ignorance. Therefore, a focus on Wikipedia criticism will ultimately fail to diagnose the wider issues facing us.

2) Wikipedia just surfaced the cult of stupidity sooner and more clearly than media and politics.

3) The corrupt business practices of Jimbo (serial scam companies where he earns with no interest in the success of the venture) are worth following.

4) Consider a different structure of an editorial board and contributors rather than a debating shop. I'm not convinced that there is any benefit to the many eyes on Wikipedia - the core data and information has been gathered.

5) The forum can serve as a recruiting ground, but I think that the signal to noise ratio is extremely high. I think that the cult of extreme free speech has infected this site - historically being very reluctant to shut down disruptive members. Far more vicious moderation of members who are noise is required.

6) However, much you point out the stupidity of Wikipedia, the masses will ultimately not grasp the issue, or realise that they themselves are the target, because it challenges their right to believe that their opinions on everything are as valid as the next person's. Who, then, is the target of any generated wisdom of this site?

My 2d worth.
Implicit is that Trumpism & Brexit is part of the current debacle of the collapse of critical thinking as something to be aspired to.

Having been poked by Mr V, I think it would be sensible for people to spend a few minutes asking themselves what they are attempting to achieve. Myself, it was hoping to expose to the world how corrupt Wikipedia was, but when you realise that the world really doesn't give a shit as long as there is a proper documentation of Love Island episodes then it seems a rather pointless task and as government has abrogated its responsibility to lead and hides behind populism as the determinant of policy I struggle to see what the audience is. How do you link with other groups coming at the same problem from different perspectives?
I think the question of "what are you trying to achieve" is important. Incidentally, this is one problem with Wikipedia, as someone else (I think Greybeard) mentions elsewhere: there is no "goal function" on Wikipedia.

I think the forum and blog can perform different functions.
  • The forum can be used present tidbits of interesting stuff, write rants, argue about stuff and generally shoot the breeze.
  • Blog posts would have specific authors, should be focused, and in my view are better aimed at the general public. Why should they be aimed at the general public? Because there is no other option. Sure, the general public is apathetic about Wikipedia. But the general public is apathetic about most ills in the world. One never really knows how, when or where some particular spark can spread. One often needs to keep plugging the same ideas over and over again, to different audiences and at different points in time.
I see Tim's post which suggests that the site should be aimed at other Wikipedians. That is fine as a partial strategy: some posts can be aimed at Wikipedians. But in general, I don't think an approach aimed solely at Wikipedians is likely to go anywhere. Besides, if one only aims to reach Wikipedians, why not write for the Signpost? Most Wikipedians are, generally speaking, fine with the way Wikipedia works. They may complain about this or that aspect, but their "revealed preference" suggests that they consider it a worthwhile project to contribute to. Wikipedians can sometimes have insights into particular things (because familiarity can breed contempt). But should they be the only audience? I don't think so.

In general, I do not see a contradiction between "elitism" and "populism". Both can co-exist. Some people do know better than others about specific topics. And there is no reason why their arguments can't come to the fore. I recently read a book called The Enigma of Reason. It views human reason in evolutionary terms and advances an "interactionist approach". Briefly, human reason is lazy and biased, and most individual reasoners are not particularly good at finding out the truth. Incidentally, this applies to both experts and laypeople. However, if we conceive of reason as justifying ourselves to a community of people, who generally share common goals or operate in a good environment, reason can work well at identifying and amplifying the best arguments. My own view is that to the extent Wikipedia works at all, it is due to this phenomenon.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:06 am

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:And on getting the right moderator.
I would nominate Kingsindian for it. :banana:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:37 pm

The Joy wrote:
Surely we have Zoloft and Midsize Jake, two immensely experienced moderators.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Poetlister wrote:
The Joy wrote:
Surely we have Zoloft and Midsize Jake, two immensely experienced moderators.
I'm going to be turning in my broom and axe soon, once we have Midsize Jake and a player to be named later as admins.

Note: we still need volunteers for moderators, and an admin, and media people - press outreach, Twitter operator, Facebook admin.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:11 pm

If we were to do such a thing, I think it would a format we currently don't have on this board, so the "moderation" would be a different sort of thing: possibly even a one-off.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:28 am

Does Wikipediocracy have an email address or addresses that are dedicated to fact-checking? For example, imagine a contributor wants to write a story about, say, the Berkman Center's work on Wikipedia. I imagine that a journalist from, say, the Washington Post would contact the Berkman Center (at Harvard & at Sciences Po Paris) from an address containing the name of the domain which intended to publish an article on the subject.

If so, who has editorial oversight of the messages being sent out for fact-checking / right to response / inquiry emails?

If not, do you think this might be a good idea? (My reasons for thinking it is: 1) it is more credible than receiving a message from JaneDoe@yahoo.xyz ; 2) it involves editorial oversight concerning the questions asked if the message is not simply sent by JaneDoe@wikipediocracy.com )
los auberginos

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:43 am

Wikipediocracy does have an official e-mail address, which I believe is monitored by the admins and moderators. Does it receive many such requests?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I am one of at least one, two, or three people who get pinged when "media@wikipediocracy.com" is e-mailed. Don't receive much at all.

Ca$hBag
Critic
Wikipedia User: Multiple users; proudly in violation of WP:SOCK
Wikipedia Review Member: Ca$hBag

Unread post by Ca$hBag » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 am

I'll share some of what I think. I typically avoid donating to anything, unless it's a charitable cause such as animal or social welfare. I do not count political causes such as this one amongst them.

I would also advocate anything that speeds up the cause such as producing a documentary covering Wikipedia, it's origin/history, it's corrupt bureaucrats/admins, conflicting policies and major arbcom cases going back beyond the past decade. Each individual Wikipedian who has corrupted the site should be discussed in great detail: they have managed to corrupt the site without consequence. An extreme exposure should be shed where they cannot evade publicity any longer.

This documentary should include screenshots and other supporting evidence. At this day and age, i don't think publishing it just on a video site will give it any special attention. More than 70,000 videos are posted on YT for example. This documentary should be passed to the press and appear on TV screen before computer screens.

Another major weapon would be compiling all this info into a large book. The book should be published by a reputable publishing house (money might indeed be needed here for production) and should be sold at a reasonable low price. The sales could make up for the money needed for publishing.

Another few hundred or thousand copies should be redistributed. Such a book would need teamwork to produce, but it can be done.

These would be the biggest killers. Most people searching on the Internet are not going to search the flaws of Wikipedia or Wikimedia in general. It should be brought onto their attention when they see a large book in their local bookstore or library. Something when watching TV - it has to come to them, not they be drawn towards it.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:08 am

Ca$hBag wrote:I'll share some of what I think. I typically avoid donating to anything, unless it's a charitable cause such as animal or social welfare. I do not count political causes such as this one amongst them.

I would also advocate anything that speeds up the cause such as producing a documentary covering Wikipedia, it's origin/history, it's corrupt bureaucrats/admins, conflicting policies and major arbcom cases going back beyond the past decade. Each individual Wikipedian who has corrupted the site should be discussed in great detail: they have managed to corrupt the site without consequence. An extreme exposure should be shed where they cannot evade publicity any longer.

This documentary should include screenshots and other supporting evidence. At this day and age, i don't think publishing it just on a video site will give it any special attention. More than 70,000 videos are posted on YT for example. This documentary should be passed to the press and appear on TV screen before computer screens.

Another major weapon would be compiling all this info into a large book. The book should be published by a reputable publishing house (money might indeed be needed here for production) and should be sold at a reasonable low price. The sales could make up for the money needed for publishing.

Another few hundred or thousand copies should be redistributed. Such a book would need teamwork to produce, but it can be done.

These would be the biggest killers. Most people searching on the Internet are not going to search the flaws of Wikipedia or Wikimedia in general. It should be brought onto their attention when they see a large book in their local bookstore or library. Something when watching TV - it has to come to them, not they be drawn towards it.
I don't think so. In my in my opinion is this the moral task of the international press. What they ignore. I think because the blunder is so immense they were blind for such a long time, that they afterwards have to close every press agency.......
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:14 pm

We could get funding from Kickstarter or IndieGoGo.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Johnny Au wrote:We could get funding from Kickstarter or IndieGoGo.
For maintenance/continuation of current performance, funding is not really the problem.

Even for expansion of activity, it seems that money is not a great inducement. I offered cash for blog posts recently -- no takers thus far. I announced another fairly trivial contest (for people to nominate large businesses that don't currently have a Wikipedia article) with a cash prize, if I received at least 5 submissions. I received 2 thus far, and the deadline is in 12 hours.

So, it's not money, in my opinion. It's commitment that we're in need of.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:53 pm

One small spark on the right place and the hole woodpile burns down. I have seen it whit Greece, it was about the same situation. People on blogs, and people who know were they were talking about were warning for years! The ECB (European Central Bank) must have known something was very wrong in Greece at that time. Varofakis was predicted on his blog and in his books how dangerously the situation was, just like we are doing here. Also for years. And believe me, on his blog were professors and economists active at that time.
And at once the television screens in the whole world were filled with Athens in flames. From one day to the other. And the whole Greek woodpillar burned down to the ground, and even further because Greece is still bankruptcy.
So, I think this is a normal proces how a boondoggles burns down. Something of to big to fall? So much money invested, and we can't give up? I don't know.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:20 pm

thekohser wrote:It's commitment that we're in need of.
I agree, but think that maybe one of the biggest problems might be figuring out what specifically such volunteers would be committing to.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:33 am

JCM wrote:
I agree, but think that maybe one of the biggest problems might be figuring out what specifically such volunteers would be committing to.
I think all we need are people who are willing to do work:
  • Write or research blog posts
  • Administrate the blog
  • Moderate the forum
  • Help make decisions about what direction we should take
  • Help with social media (Twitter and Facebook and more)
  • Help coordinate with journalists
Clear enough?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Zoloft wrote:
JCM wrote:
I think all we need are people who are willing to do work:
  • Write or research blog posts
  • Administrate the blog
  • Moderate the forum
  • Help make decisions about what direction we should take
  • Help with social media (Twitter and Facebook and more)
  • Help coordinate with journalists
Clear enough?
I think maybe the fourth might be most important immediately.

Ca$hBag
Critic
Wikipedia User: Multiple users; proudly in violation of WP:SOCK
Wikipedia Review Member: Ca$hBag

Unread post by Ca$hBag » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:22 pm

Another idea would be to start another blog and monetize it with adds. The profits could contribute to journalistic articles in newspapers and less preferably magazines or whatever funding is needed.

But which blog allows ads? Blogspot is too difficult to use ever since Google screwed it up in 2012. Somebody here probably knows this better than I do.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I'll try this again... there is not a funding problem on Wikipediocracy (unless you are suggesting a bankroll large enough to hire an employee). Further, digital ads are not sufficient for funding generally, unless you have a site with millions of page views.

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 pm

thekohser wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the Forum switched off to new posts for 2 weeks out of every two or three months. Only collaborative threads (invitation only) would be open for joint production of blog posts. Our ticket to renewed relevance is to rebuild the process of producing finished product in the form of essays, news stories, and informal "studies" that people (especially journalists) will want to read, share, and re-publish.

We're basically not accomplishing much on the Forum any more, and I have a hunch it's actually stunting our resourcefulness in writing more thoughtful pieces suitable for the general public.
I could go with this. And, maybe, at least some of the forums of most interest might deal with things like specific problematic policies and guidelines. NPOV is one controversial one that comes to mind.