Time for a Change

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
Zoloft
Trustee
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Time for a Change

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 am

This is a copy of a few posts from a topic discussed first in the Trustee forum, then in the Campaign Room. Now it's out here in public:

Five years of Wikipediocracy is something to be proud of. We are a fitting successor to Wikipedia Review, and an important site, important in helping make Wikipedia look petty and inaccurate, and exposing the Wikimedia Foundation as grasping, greedy donation-grabbers who are now far removed from the community that does most of the actual work of editing the 'Online Encyclopedia that anyone can edit.'

We put the lie to their claim about their goal being to collect the 'sum of all human knowledge' - instead, Wikipedia minimizes the impact of other sites looking to collect and publish such information and disseminates a mediocre version of the world's information, often inaccurate, biased, or simply false.

Our Alexa ranking is hovering where it was for the last two years: about 220,000 which is not bad. More than twenty thousand people spend hours reading our content each month. Wikipedia criticism has a voice and an audience. It is an achievement and a resource.

But our work is not yet finished, it should be just beginning. Instead, we produce less reporting, many of our blog authors and forum posters have left or been driven away by infighting. Our media outreach has stalled. Our social media accounts are idle. We're falling into a coma. I am the only administrator or moderator. No Trustee is authoring blog posts. The forum postings are declining. We've lost important voices such as Andreas, Eric Barbour, Hex, Alison... the list goes on much longer.

I'm proposing some changes, to energize and reform our site, out of my own fervor for continuing the cause. I've put a lot of work into this site, and will not just watch it fail. I've heard from people in public and private, and I'm putting my own privileges and work up as my stake. I am resigning as Administrator within 90 days, and the Trustees have agreed to step down and be replaced. We are also seeking at least two new Moderators.

The proposal for change:

1) We need to only have highly active members in positions of authority.
Having a Trustee, a Moderator, or an Administrator who is not active just reinforces the 'Wikipediocracy is on the downswing' line and enables the fence sitters to dismiss the whole site easily.

2) We need to have people in these positions acting responsibly, holding relatively mainstream positions (aside from their criticism of the WMF and Wikipedia), and welcoming new members to our forums.

3) Regular features should be required by those in the Trustee and Admin positions. If you don't want to write, find something else to do. This site lives and dies on en.wikipedia and WMF exposes and we haven't been producing. If you are in a position of authority here and don't log in on a regular basis you will be removed. If you don't write a blog post every six to eight weeks, you will be asked to resign.

4) Reach out to solid writers who no longer work with Wikipediocracy and invite them to participate here again. Ask them what they'd want to return.

5) Get rid of the 'real identity' requirement for advanced permissions. The site owner can easily strip permissions and hide/delete objectionable content.

6) Put a 'let's talk about it' policy in place that lays down broad ground rules and the reasons for them. Keep open a topic just for this purpose to bring new permission holders up to speed on what the reasoning is for the rules.

7) Tell members who are just annoying to moderate it, and have a process to ban them - and to bring them back if they merit another chance. Periodically review our banned list.

8) Reach out to recruit new members.

9) Once we start producing exposés and other content, push these to the press, release exposés later as press releases — expand our impact.

10) Provide a process for any mistakes and factual errors if proven to be corrected in a timely manner.

We are planning a complete rollover of our Trustees, new Moderators and at least one new Administrator for our site. The domain, hosting, and administration will be placed in trustworthy hands, and the current holders will stand down — after five years of valuable and appreciated service by all three.

Note: costs to keep this site running are about $500US/year. Those three stakeholders and perhaps a few others should raise money or donate their share to keep us going. If we manage this successfully, I will pledge at least $150US a year myself.

--Zoloft/Bill Burns
Last edited by Zoloft on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Note: i removed a few names from #4, as we did contact them.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Zoloft
Trustee

Re: Time for a Change

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:30 am

This proposal has been discussed in private and received the overall support of current Administrators and Trustees.

At a minimum:
  • Administrator (need two) — maintain the site, its software, etc. They should probably avoid disciplinary action as much a possible.
    - Midsize Jake is willing to serve as administrator, at least for a while.
    - Would like one more volunteer as a backup or follow-on.
  • Moderator (need a minimum of two) — maintain the tone of the site as not obscene or full of attacks on each other. Keep the discussion on-topic. Ban people if necessary, reviewed by Trustees if borderline.
    - Alison tentatively says they will moderate.
    - Tarantino tentatively says they will moderate.
    - Still need another volunteer or two.
  • Trustees (need three) — Give advice and approve decisions if controversial.
    - Vigilant may be a Trustee.
    - I am willing to be a Trustee if needed.
    - Need at least one more volunteer.
  • Keyholders: (need two people) one to hold the domain, and one for the hosting.
    - If I am not Administrator by the end of this, I will volunteer to hold the domain keys and keep that bill paid.
    - Need at least one more volunteer to use their credit card to hold the hosting, and pay in a timely manner.
    - Money will be provided by the people who have pledged, and we may do later funding with a GoFundme.
  • Social media: (need at least one volunteer) Twitter and FaceBook and etc.
    - Anthonyhcole is willing to step up for Twitter
    - TheJoy is willing to work on social media accounts, so that might be our Facebook pick.
  • Blog Admin/wrangler like when HK used to make sure we had one post a week.
    - TheJoy is willing to help with this, and I can lend support as well.
  • Press Contact: (need one) Manages relations with Press and other media.
- No volunteers as of yet.

Note: There can be some overlap in these positions, but not much.

We have had several people step forward with pledges of enough money to keep the site running for about three years.

Pick a spot, folks. I'll add them here.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 am

We're not trying to twist anybody's arm. We need people who will happily work in these positions.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:35 am

If no one's interested in the blog admin/editor position, I'm still interested.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:13 am

The Joy wrote:If no one's interested in the blog admin/editor position, I'm still interested.
I have added you to that spot in the list, and I can help you get started, and remain a backup blog admin after you're comfortable.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:23 pm

Suggestion for the suggestion box: it might be easier to organize a blog as a regular weekly newsletter with special stories and recurring features (a la The Citationlinkhttp://thecitation.org/[/link]) than an endless series of essays.

Perhaps a more daunting task getting it launched, but it would actually generate interest and readership and that may well form a critical mass of volunteer activity.

Speaking personally, I'd be willing to cover a regular "beat" in an online newsletter but have basically no interest in writing blog essays.

The key would be whether one could motivate some of the disaffected-but-talented former WPO people to participate in such a project.

RfB

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:00 pm

What's the effective difference between a newsletter and a blog? One could simply turn the latter into the former by putting the posts in a certain period together as a digest and emailing them.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:43 pm

Kingsindian wrote:What's the effective difference between a newsletter and a blog? One could simply turn the latter into the former by putting the posts in a certain period together as a digest and emailing them.
Presentation is important, is the answer.

If one were to make it look like a regular publication, it would be apt to build up regular readership.

If it stays a blog, it needs to become very regular. I update my Debs Project thing < linkhttps://debsproject.org[/link] > once a week, every Saturday morning. THAT kind of regular.

RfB

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Kingsindian wrote:What's the effective difference between a newsletter and a blog? One could simply turn the latter into the former by putting the posts in a certain period together as a digest and emailing them.
Once the team is together, I suppose they'll be discussions on that. At least when HK was blog czar, he mainly prodded people for content and then edited the content to fit the blog, occasionally adding visuals and whatnot. I assume I'll be doing something similar.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:57 pm

I think point (5) "Get rid of the 'real identity' requirement for advanced permissions" is a significant one. It was certainly a complete blocker to my even considering the possibility of helping out. As it happens there are other considerations as far as I personally am concerned but perhaps it will work for some other contributors.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 am

It's Bastille Day.

I think it's time to do this. I'll start with the Trustee changes and Mod Team.

That will happen in about twelve hours.

I am, as I have throughout this process, giving people time to comment as we go along.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:28 pm

I have a call today with a long-time Wikipedian and occasional Wikipediocracy participant who has some ideas for us. And I'm still working on my friend who has little Wikipedia and no Wikipediocracy experience, but she is concerned about the degradation of educational resources by over-reliance on Wikipedia. I hope that these are fruitful discussions.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Zoloft:—

Please do post up here the new Figures of Supreme Authority as they are appointed so we know to whom to send trinkets and bribes.

RfB

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Zoloft wrote:It's Bastille Day.

I think it's time to do this. I'll start with the Trustee changes and Mod Team.

That will happen in about twelve hours.

I am, as I have throughout this process, giving people time to comment as we go along.
Let me know when you want to discuss the blog. If no else wants to handle the Facebook account, let know about that, too.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 pm

For some reason I marked up Harold McMillan's "Winds of Change" speech to highlight all the information gaps ("wh") and a few of the deictics/pointers ("th") some years back.

http://www.creoliste.fr/docs/speeches/woc.html
los auberginos

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Bezdomni wrote:For some reason I marked up Harold McMillan's "Winds of Change" speech to highlight all the information gaps ("wh") and a few of the deictics/pointers ("th") some years back.

I wish I understood the relevance of that message. But further, I wish the color-scheme of highlighting in maroon and lapis on a mauve background had been seriously reconsidered before publication.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm

thekohser wrote:
Bezdomni wrote:For some reason I marked up Harold McMillan's "Winds of Change" speech to highlight all the information gaps ("wh") and a few of the deictics/pointers ("th") some years back.

I wish I understood the relevance of that message. But further, I wish the color-scheme of highlighting in maroon and lapis on a mauve background had been seriously reconsidered before publication.
:D If you use FF you can just hit the reader button. I've done worse color combinations. I ain't proud. ^^

ETA: harumph, guess I am. I've changed the CSS for official unicorn web-colors per your suggestion that the relevance of my message might not be very vivid.
los auberginos

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:36 pm

thekohser wrote:

MacMillan's Winds of Change" speech represented the acknowledgement by a declining ruling power that it could no longer sustain its traditional position of first- and second-class citizenry in the territories it had previously governed; that the broad mass of people within its territories were entitled to control their own destinies without the condescending permission of the self-styled elite; and that the only constructive way forwards was to welcome the full right and responsbility of those peoples in determining their own futures. I wonder why you had difficulty in seeing that?

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:50 pm

In fairness, I wasn't anywhere near as eloquent, Rogol. Still, Greg was right, the colors sucked.
los auberginos

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Bezdomni wrote:[...] Still, Greg was right, the colors sucked.
Well, that's the important thing, I suppose.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 pm

thekohser wrote:

And your last wish?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Earthy Astringent wrote:And your last wish?
To be sprung from Europe.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:10 am

I have a plea from a member in my PMs to discuss the changes with them. I think they are worried about the mods and Trustees being able to see emails and IPs.

The forum was set up to avoid that.

This arrangement was part of our 'Mutual Assured Distrust' system, so absolute power would not be held by anyone.

The only overpowered position is Administrator. Only they can see IPs and email addresses.

I will attempt to reassure the forum member.

Please stand by.

--Z

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 am

Zoloft wrote:I have a plea from a member in my PMs to discuss the changes with them. I think they are worried about the mods and Trustees being able to see emails and IPs.

The forum was set up to avoid that.

This arrangement was part of our 'Mutual Assured Distrust' system, so absolute power would not be held by anyone.

The only overpowered position is Administrator. Only they can see IPs and email addresses.

I will attempt to reassure the forum member.

Please stand by.

--Z
Indeed, the madness of the management structure is the method.
This is not a signature.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:01 pm

Zoloft wrote:The only overpowered position is Administrator. Only they can see IPs and email addresses.
What about the content of PMs and e-mails sent through the system?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Zoloft wrote:The only overpowered position is Administrator. Only they can see IPs and email addresses.
They are not available through the phpBB interface. With enough SQL-fu, they *might* be available by direct manipulation of the database (which is how Selina got to them on WR). That capability lies only in server admins, which at the moment are only Zoloft and myself. Either of us probably has the chops to do it, but I'm certain would not. Nonetheless, they should not be considered super-secure.

Note also that all mod and admin actions and logins are also recorded in logs within the admin interface, though they could be spoofed, I suppose, in the manner described above as well.

The one time we needed to conduct a particularly sensitive conversation, we did it on separate email outside of the phpBB interface (this was not because Zoloft or myself were suspected of misdeeds, just for general prudence).

Note that there is one role that I hold that we'll have to determine what to do with. Since I set up the original server (though Zoloft has done most of the work since then), I ticked the "Founder" box for me. That means that no other Admin can demote me. I will perform ritual seppuku when a new holder of the hosting is selected, or transfer that to Zoloft, so that there is a backstop versus Selina-like machinations here, as well as the tripartite distribution of hosting/domain name/operations.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 pm

greybeard wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
They are not available through the phpBB interface. With enough SQL-fu, they *might* be available by direct manipulation of the database (which is how Selina got to them on WR). That capability lies only in server admins, which at the moment are only Zoloft and myself. Either of us probably has the chops to do it, but I'm certain would not. Nonetheless, they should not be considered super-secure.

Note also that all mod and admin actions and logins are also recorded in logs within the admin interface, though they could be spoofed, I suppose, in the manner described above as well.

The one time we needed to conduct a particularly sensitive conversation, we did it on separate email outside of the phpBB interface (this was not because Zoloft or myself were suspected of misdeeds, just for general prudence).

Note that there is one role that I hold that we'll have to determine what to do with. Since I set up the original server (though Zoloft has done most of the work since then), I ticked the "Founder" box for me. That means that no other Admin can demote me. I will perform ritual seppuku when a new holder of the hosting is selected, or transfer that to Zoloft, so that there is a backstop versus Selina-like machinations here, as well as the tripartite distribution of hosting/domain name/operations.
It does no harm to leave the box ticked. Once you demote yourself, the box will only mean, 'can not be banned unless by an admin.' The original twelve or so probably should have that privilege.

We're going to be quite careful handing the keys around to new hands, trust me on that.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 am

I don't know enough about the various people involved to know whether Tippi's comments are fair or not – and that's my point. Perhaps when the new order emerges from the various forums that we don't usually see, they would like to introduce themselves to the rest of us, saying a little bit about their new powers, what they propose to do with them and how they see the site moving forwards. I would particularly echo Tippi's point about what, if anythng, they think should actually be done out there in the real world.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 am

Well, the sausage is being made out in public, so first, I did change the status of a couple of forum members who requested a quiet exit. Their names are their own business.

The new Trustees:
  • Vigilant
  • Zoloft (I hope I don't come to regret this)
  • A third position to be filled later
Keeping Midsize Jake as a trustee until the third position is filled

The new(ish) Moderators:
  • Tarantino
  • Alison (returning by popular demand)
  • A third, non-controversial choice would be nice.
Thank you to the Trustees both recent and retired for your work to establish and guide this site.

I have demoted SB_Johnny from Administrator as he has recently expressed a wish to return to regular user status. Thank you for your help, John.
I have promoted Midsize Jake to Administrator.

This simplifies the tasks ahead.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Zoloft wrote:Well, the sausage is being made out in public, so first, I did change the status of a couple of forum members who requested a quiet exit. Their names are their own business.

The new Trustees:
  • Vigilant
  • Zoloft (I hope I don't come to regret this)
  • A third position to be filled later
Keeping Midsize Jake as a trustee until the third position is filled

The new(ish) Moderators:
  • Tarantino
  • Alison (returning by popular demand)
  • A third, non-controversial choice would be nice.
Thank you to the Trustees both recent and retired for your work to establish and guide this site.

I have demoted SB_Johnny from Administrator as he has recently expressed a wish to return to regular user status. Thank you for your help, John.
I have promoted Midsize Jake to Administrator.

This simplifies the tasks ahead.
All hail our new non-corporate overlords. Thanks for your service.

tim

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Ok, this is supposed to be a working topic. Let's please keep the sniping and backbiting out of it. Future-looking posts please. The rest will go elsewhere.
Mods, I'd like the off-topic bits to be split to a members-only topic. If you need instructions I can help.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:13 pm

If the powers-that-be were to share their plans here with the rest of us, we could work with them here to discuss, refine and implement them.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:18 pm

My plan is to revitalize our inputs (member participation, investigative forum posts, people looking at now-ignored shenanigans) and our outputs (reporter outreach, contacts with reformers, blog posts) by bringing in new people to occupy action positions and mandating simple rules for accountability.

I feel we're slowly getting there. It involves people doing serious amounts of work, and agreeing to get along together and be productive.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Zoloft wrote: Mods, I'd like the off-topic bits to be split to a members-only topic. If you need instructions I can help.
Done, Uncle Bill.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:33 pm

tarantino wrote:
Zoloft wrote: Mods, I'd like the off-topic bits to be split to a members-only topic. If you need instructions I can help.
Done, Uncle Bill.
Thanks. We'll get on with the work. Next is the social media stuff.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm

It's not the same Wikipediocracy without a green Zoloft.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm

tarantino wrote:
Done, Uncle Bill.
Thank you, t. Apologies to you, Viggie, Bill and greybeard. I'll try and do better from now on.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Tippi Hadron wrote:
tarantino wrote:
Done, Uncle Bill.
Thank you, t. Apologies to you, Viggie, Bill and greybeard. I'll try and do better from now on.
Thanks, Tippi.

I'm glad you're here.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Tippi Hadron wrote:
tarantino wrote:
Done, Uncle Bill.
That's a very specific list of people, isn't it?

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tippi Hadron wrote:
tarantino wrote:
Done, Uncle Bill.
Thanks, Tippi.

I'm glad you're here.
Thank you, Vigilant. Likewise. Glad to see you come into your own.

Now, shall we let the lurkers in on that secret WO band project? Next year in San Diego and all that. Main stage.
Party hard! Party hard! Party hard! Party hard! When it's time to party we will always party hard. Yee haw!

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:23 am

Coming attractions:
  • Revamping the blog front page
  • Blog management changes
  • There are three blog posts in the works
  • Casting our net out for a dedicated, hard-working Press Liaison
  • Alexa rating moves steadily in the right direction since we began our reform drive
graph.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 am

Tippi Hadron wrote:Thank you, t. Apologies to you, Viggie, Bill and greybeard. I'll try and do better from now on.
No apology ever needed to me, but part of being in a community is looking for common ground, not divisiveness. But I'm on my way out, and beside, as you noted, I haven't done as much as I perhaps could have here, so it's good that there will be fresh leadership.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:40 am

Poetlister has volunteered to serve a role by creating new topics where Wikipedia has made the news, which is important work, as we can feed follow-up information to the reporters who are covering the WMF and Wikipedia.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you Poetlister and management for this initiative, which should be very productive.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm

Zoloft wrote:Poetlister has volunteered to serve a role by creating new topics where Wikipedia has made the news, which is important work, as we can feed follow-up information to the reporters who are covering the WMF and Wikipedia.
I'm having a hunt now. Watch out for threads I start.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Just curious if you're planning any unbannings during this new quinquennat? Auggie and MMAR come to mind, but I'm sure there are many others. Personally, I'm a big fan of having lots of islands. Forgiving is always a good thing: when I got booted from Wikipedia back in December I discovered an awful lot of rancor off-wiki. As time's gone by I've learned this may be a perpetual condition. (human nature + wikipolit-bourreaucracies)

http://fleursdumal.org/poem/151
los auberginos

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:01 am

Bezdomni wrote:Just curious if you're planning any unbannings during this new quinquennat? Auggie and MMAR come to mind, but I'm sure there are many others. Personally, I'm a big fan of having lots of islands. Forgiving is always a good thing: when I got booted from Wikipedia back in December I discovered an awful lot of rancor off-wiki. As time's gone by I've learned this may be a perpetual condition. (human nature + wikipolit-bourreaucracies)

http://fleursdumal.org/poem/151
I am going to propose a list of people for unbanning as soon as the positions here get finalized and broken in. That may be a while. Some may not want to come back. MMAR has been here twice. I dunno about a third try.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 am

Maybe the new crew sees it different, but early on we avoided allowing threads like this live on past their use-by date. Wikipedia Review Review pretty much drowned out the rest of the noise at the old place (so maybe we were a little quick to the trigger).

Perhaps a non-public/non-googlable navel-gazing forum would be fun. Or maybe it wouldn't. Either way, this thread is starting to smell like old fish.
This is not a signature.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:14 am

I thought others were considering joining and being part of the leadership team?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:02 am

SB_Johnny wrote:Maybe the new crew sees it different, but early on we avoided allowing threads like this live on past their use-by date. Wikipedia Review Review pretty much drowned out the rest of the noise at the old place (so maybe we were a little quick to the trigger).

Perhaps a non-public/non-googlable navel-gazing forum would be fun. Or maybe it wouldn't. Either way, this thread is starting to smell like old fish.
I think it's important that this thread is public. I'll move it, though, if others agree with you.
The Joy wrote:I thought others were considering joining and being part of the leadership team?
Who? I agree more are needed.