Spam from here (I'm assuming?)

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
Snooper
Contributor
kołdry

Spam from here (I'm assuming?)

Unread post by Snooper » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:00 pm

Hey there. Just want to note after doing my weekly browse of my spam box I got an unsolicited email that I believe came from here based on the subject matter. It asked if I was still interested in Wikipedia criticism and was sent to me by an email account with the handle bbb23exposed and sent to a BCC list so I'm not sure who else since it's BCC.

It's possible my email address was harvested somewhere else but I believe this is the only place I've been at that would be that targetted.

If I'm incorrect about that I apologize, it's possible something's slipped my mind. But on the chance the email list from here has been extracted somehow I wanted to make sure you guys knew about it.
Number One, I order you to take a number two.

ScotFinnRadish
Regular
Wikipedia User: ScottishFinnishRadish
Actual Name: Stephen Root Vegetable

Re: Spam from here (I'm assuming?)

Unread post by ScotFinnRadish » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:02 pm

That's sucks. Get blocked on-wiki and have email enabled?

Snooper
Contributor

Unread post by Snooper » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:04 pm

Never been blocked on wiki. Email is enabled but it's not a Wikipedia email, it came direct.

Screenshot if it helps: https://imgur.com/a/R3EqjFc

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:31 pm

Snooper wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:00 pm
by an email account with the handle bbb23exposed
Sounds like it could be that lunatic from wikipediasucks.

P.S. I did not get any spam like this.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:53 pm

Bbb23sucks is a moderator at Wikipediasucks. There is a member here Bbb23hater who is the most obvious person to have messaged you from here, assuming that this isn't a joe job.

Snooper
Contributor

Unread post by Snooper » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:20 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:53 pm
Bbb23sucks is a moderator at Wikipediasucks. There is a member here Bbb23hater who is the most obvious person to have messaged you from here, assuming that this isn't a joe job.
Yeah, I could very well be a conduit for a Joe job. I'm fairly new and could be expected to freak a bit, so the thought crossed my mind. But ultimately I decided raising the issue would at least make sure everything is secure and the worst outcome would be being told I'm being played, which isn't so bad in terms of bad outcomes.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:04 pm

Snooper wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:20 pm
eppur si muove wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:53 pm
Yeah, I could very well be a conduit for a Joe job. I'm fairly new and could be expected to freak a bit, so the thought crossed my mind. But ultimately I decided raising the issue would at least make sure everything is secure and the worst outcome would be being told I'm being played, which isn't so bad in terms of bad outcomes.
According to a test I did just now, any email sent through Wikipediocracy will be from "support" and have a very obvious disclaimer:
Hello Giraffe Stapler,

The following is an email sent to you by Giraffe Stapler via your account
on "Wikipediocracy". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other
comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at
the following address:

[support email address removed for spam bots]

Include this full email (particularly the headers). Please note that the
reply address to this email has been set to that of Giraffe Stapler.

Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you didn't get something like that, Wikipediocracy wasn't the source. It is possible (but unlikely) that the forum has been compromised, of course.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:38 am

Snooper wrote:
Hey there. Just want to note after doing my weekly browse of my spam box I got an unsolicited email that I believe came from here based on the subject matter. It asked if I was still interested in Wikipedia criticism and was sent to me by an email account with the handle bbb23exposed and sent to a BCC list so I'm not sure who else since it's BCC.

It's possible my email address was harvested somewhere else but I believe this is the only place I've been at that would be that targetted.

If I'm incorrect about that I apologize, it's possible something's slipped my mind. But on the chance the email list from here has been extracted somehow I wanted to make sure you guys knew about it.
Can't be us, we're all uncritical Wikipedians here.

t

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:25 am

Snooper wrote:
Anything's possible, but I would imagine that if Mr. Bbb23sucks (or anyone else) had managed to hack the site's database to obtain registration e-mails, this wouldn't be the first we'd heard about it — presumably lots of people would be telling us about similar unsolicited e-mails. And such an e-mail couldn't have been sent via the forum itself, because the forum's e-mail feature simply doesn't allow BCC'ing (for obvious reasons).

I assume you checked the headers of this particular e-mail and verified that it was sent to the same e-mail address you used to register here...? It looks like you set it up specifically for that purpose (i.e., it's what we might call a "site-specific e-mail account"), but lots of people here do that of course. So then the question becomes whether you've sent or received e-mail via that account/address to or from anywhere else, if at all.

Snooper
Contributor

Unread post by Snooper » Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:46 pm

It's not a site specific email, it's my full name at gmail dot com. That's why I scratched it off in the screenshot. Although since you mentioned it I did look and I used an alias suffix registering here (if you put a + sign and some text after your username but before the @ sign it still gets delivered to your email inbox. Useful for tracking who sells your data.) But the BBB23 email didn't use the alias, it used the full name at gmail dot com with no +anything.

Curious. So definitely didn't come from your email database. But someone (apparently a crazy person judging by the other replies here) managed to suss me out pretty well. That's concerning. Not something for you though, this has been helpful for a sanity check and I appreciate it.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:31 pm

Of course if they are monitoring this forum they will now know that WPO user Snooper is one of the people they have sent the message to.

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:08 pm

There’s no precedent for Mr. Sucks doing this? I’m not familiar but it sounds like something he would do based on what other people here say about him.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:53 pm

FelinaLavandula wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:08 pm
There’s no precedent for Mr. Sucks doing this? I’m not familiar but it sounds like something he would do based on what other people here say about him.
Well, he's definitely "quite the enthusiast," as they say, but I don't recall him sending unsolicited e-mails to people before. Mr. Kumioko actually did something more egregious a couple of years ago, when he CC'd a whole bunch of people on a month-long flood of e-mails about how Arbcom and UTRS were ignoring his ban appeals. But those were only addressed to admins (including Mr. Zoloft and myself, the two admins here).

And as most of our regulars know, we generally prefer to think of ourselves as among those who believe "it's the system that's the problem, the bad people who populate it (to whatever extent) are there because bad people are attracted to bad systems." But as his preferred username would indicate, Mr. Bbb23sucks has never — unless something's changed quite recently — subscribed to that notion, and mostly just blames the one guy, apparently. (Who, to be fair, really should have had his WP admin rights rescinded quite some time ago.)

Unfortunately (for him), one of our longstanding "unwritten rules" is that newly-registered usernames referencing a specific Wikipedia user in an openly derogatory fashion should be rejected, though with no prejudice against the registrant if they want to try again with a different name. We allowed "Bbb23hater" because that isn't personally derogatory; some might feel that "hater" says more about him than about User:Bbb23, or else is simply a way of stating the obvious.

So if we accept that he's really just concerned (I hesitate to use words like "fixated" or "obsessed") with that one guy, it's quite possible that he just isn't interested in participating on a forum that won't let him register under his preferred name (i.e., "-sucks"), or some other equally derogatory variant. It's sort of like what might happen if I tried to register on a Jimmy Buffett fan-site, especially since Jimmy Buffett passed away recently and everyone is trying harder than ever to avoid showing him disrespect.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:19 pm