Outing deceased Wikipedia editors

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Outing deceased Wikipedia editors

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:56 pm

When a well-known Wikipedia editor dies there is often a recognition of their death with no connection to their real life. I find that odd, because while being a Wikipedia editor may have been a part of their life, it was (hopefully) only a small part. Occasionally users here will "out" a Wikipedia editor by posting their real life identity to add context to things under discussion. I don't think we do it gratuitously, but I'm sure other people might feel differently about that, especially if they are the ones being outed.

I guess I started thinking about this when I saw the Signpost note about the passing of Eagleash (T-C-L) without giving their real name. The very recent death of Nosebagbear (T-C-L) reminded me.

So, is it acceptable or desirable to post the identities of deceased Wikipedia editors in the even of their death? Is it better to just know them as characters on a screen? What are the pros and cons? I think it reminds people that they were a living, feeling, human being, but I would like to hear some other opinions.

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Re: Outing deceased Wikipedia editors

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:05 pm

I think it really depends on the specific editor and the wishes of their family.

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:14 pm

I do not think outing is necessary if their IRL identity was private from everyone. If their IRL was well-known but not totally in the public it may be more reasonable. I personally think outing, or even doxxing, is fair game for those who weaponize their anonymity to abuse the power they have or cause harm (or potential harm) to someone.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:22 pm

rhindle wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:14 pm
I do not think outing is necessary if their IRL identity was private from everyone. If their IRL was well-known but not totally in the public it may be more reasonable. I personally think outing, or even doxxing, is fair game for those who weaponize their anonymity to abuse the power they have or cause harm (or potential harm) to someone.
:like:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:00 pm

I think there's a public obituary out there that mentions their Wikipedia editing and alias (e.g. SlimVirgin), then it's a bit absurd to enforce restricting the mention of that identity on Wikipedia, I even got oversighted for adding mention of the exact date and cause of her death (COPD), despite not mentioning her real name at all, or even linking to the obit.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:40 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:00 pm
I think there's a public obituary out there that mentions their Wikipedia editing and alias (e.g. SlimVirgin), then it's a bit absurd to enforce restricting the mention of that identity on Wikipedia, I even got oversighted for adding mention of the exact date and cause of her death (COPD), despite not mentioning her real name at all, or even linking to the obit.
That's absurd. But then we know that a sizeable proportion of senior Wikipedia editors have only a tenuous grip on reality.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:20 pm

I think it is nice to see the fuller picture of a deceased editor by knowing who they were in life, but it appears that I am alone in that view. I will let deceased Wikipedia editors rest in peace and pseudononity.

ScotFinnRadish
Regular
Wikipedia User: ScottishFinnishRadish
Actual Name: Stephen Root Vegetable

Unread post by ScotFinnRadish » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:22 pm

I think time after death is also a consideration. There are some seriously unhinged individuals and the chance of disruption at funeral services is quite a bit higher than it should be. Even if someone was an ass on Wikipedia, their family doesn't deserve online shit leaking over.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:52 pm

ScotFinnRadish wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:22 pm
I think time after death is also a consideration. There are some seriously unhinged individuals and the chance of disruption at funeral services is quite a bit higher than it should be. Even if someone was an ass on Wikipedia, their family doesn't deserve online shit leaking over.
Yes. On the other hand, it may give the relations comfort to realize they were not the dear departed’s only target.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:59 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:20 pm
I think it is nice to see the fuller picture of a deceased editor by knowing who they were in life, but it appears that I am alone in that view. I will let deceased Wikipedia editors rest in peace and pseudononity.
No, you are not alone, and I’m not even sure we are outnumbered, but the anonophiliacs are winning.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

De la pudeur...

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:23 am

It's strange not knowing whether certain anonymice have fallen into the bucket or have just rambled on/off to a WiFi-free zone... e.g. Iridescent... Pudeo (whose days seem outnumbered §)...

🕯️
los auberginos

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:29 pm

ScotFinnRadish wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:22 pm
You know, that's something I hadn't considered and it's a fair point. I don't think either of the 2 people I mentioned are at all controversial, but one never knows which Wikipedia crank may be carrying a grudge.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

good news :)

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:43 pm

I hadn't logged into en.wp this morning for the good news. §
Now if Pudeo could just show up here later today and say he made a great tidal wave and splashed himself out of the bucket, it'd be a perfect day...
los auberginos

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:21 pm

I've told my wife that if I die suddenly, I'd appreciate it if she would use my laptop to email ArbCom from my WP email and tell them I died, but I also said I would never know if she did it or not and to do whatever makes her feel better. I used to drive all day for work, in any and all conditions up to and including total whiteouts, tsunamis, regular flooding, moose that sometime just run out in front of you, etc, so I had thought about it a bit. ArbCom and the Foundation know my real nameand could verify.

On the broader issue of severe illness and death: I realized a few years ago how important it is to have these discussions with your loved ones. Both of my parents, for entirely seperate reasons, were in a really bad way at the same time. My dad let me know that they both had living wills, which is a very nice thing you can do for your loved ones so they don't have to wonder or argue about what you might have wanted.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

tarantino
Habitué

Re: good news :)

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:03 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:43 pm
Now if Pudeo could just show up here later today and say he made a great tidal wave and splashed himself out of the bucket, it'd be a perfect day...
I've been wondering about Pudeo for months. He last checked in here December 2021. I also wonder about TungstenCarbide and Everyking (T-C-L).

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:32 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:21 pm
ArbCom and the Foundation know my real name and could verify.
So your real name ISN'T "Beeblebrox"? :crying:

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:08 pm

casualdejekyll wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:32 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:21 pm
ArbCom and the Foundation know my real name and could verify.
So your real name ISN'T "Beeblebrox"? :crying:
He's just zist guy....

ArmasRebane
Habitué

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:34 pm

While editing Wikipedia is something I enjoy and spend time doing, I can't imagine I would ever stipulate to a loved one "hey you should let these internet randos know I kicked the bucket". There's definitely a range of how involved editors are on Wikipedia and how many legitimate friends they have through it, though.
Bezdomni wrote:
Six months since they last edited? Man, I guess that's one reason I'm amazed as many deceased Wikipedians get picked up on. Someone can disappear for half the year and I'd never notice.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:12 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
*just got an email from Iri saying they’re fine, just “insanely busy”, and that they’ll post here in a while when they get a chance and can find their login info. —[[User:Floquenbeam|Floquenbeam]] ([[User talk:Floquenbeam|talk]]) 02:24, 4 September 2023 (UTC)

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:24 pm

I've often wondered if longtime editor WolfmanSF (T-C-L) is dead. He's probably not a familiar name to anyone else on this forum, due to him not frequenting main community spaces, but he was a long time prolific contributor on zoology/paleontology and physics related topics with over 156,000 edits since his account creation in 2006. He suddenly stopped editing in September 2020, despite having pretty consistently edited Wikipedia every month since his account creation in July 2006. https://xtools.wmcloud.org/ec/en.wikipe ... /WolfmanSF

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:31 pm

Well, we did have a plague. Maybe it's time for the WMF to have a 'bring out your dead' drive.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:21 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:24 pm
I've often wondered if longtime editor WolfmanSF (T-C-L) is dead. He's probably not a familiar name to anyone else on this forum, due to him not frequenting main community spaces, but he was a long time prolific contributor on zoology/paleontology and physics related topics with over 156,000 edits since his account creation in 2006. He suddenly stopped editing in September 2020, despite having pretty consistently edited Wikipedia every month since his account creation in July 2006. https://xtools.wmcloud.org/ec/en.wikipe ... /WolfmanSF
Also a prolific photographer. His Commons uploads stop around the same time.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:49 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
not missing
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:44 pm

The last wikibituary I saw showed that the undearly departed had, among other things, edited his own son’s article. That kinda stuff is worth noting, even if it’s years late.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:26 am

Boris Tsirelson (T-H-L) added his death by assisted suicide to the talk page of his bio.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:34 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:44 pm
The last wikibituary I saw showed that the undearly departed had, among other things, edited his own son’s article. That kinda stuff is worth noting, even if it’s years late.
Looking at it again, I discovered that the dead guy’s ex-wife was a spook (the son is now podcasting about that) so maybe the bahstid had reasons for anonymity.