Foe lists and searches.

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
The Blue Newt
Habitué
kołdry

Foe lists and searches.

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu May 04, 2023 1:59 pm

Is it possible to make killfiled users displayable when they come up in a search?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Re: Foe lists and searches.

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu May 04, 2023 8:14 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:59 pm
Is it possible to make killfiled users displayable when they come up in a search?
Not out of the box, no. But as it happens, there was a thread about this just a couple of months ago on the phpBB support forum. So the good news is they know about it (just in case they didn't already), which is half the battle in some cases. The bad news is that this is considered FAD (functions-as-designed) by many of the participants there, apparently including most of the devs. So if such functionality ever does become available, it'll probably have to be via an extension of some sort.

We're due for an upgrade here pretty soon, so I'll keep my eye on it — who knows, maybe I could even figure it out myself. The easiest/least "code-invasive" way to implement it would probably be to have people enter a special code like "F+F" or "ALL*" in the "Search for Author" box when they want to include Foes. If it can be done in a single IF{} construct, you'd think even a tyro like me could manage that...

FWIW, I totally agree with you (I think) in that it should be possible to include foes in searches, maybe even by default. As one of the thread participants there points out, that feature is mostly to stop internal spamming/hassling via PMs, not to make it so folks can pretend the objectionable person doesn't exist at all.