Happy Tenth Anniversary

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
eagle
Eagle
kołdry

Happy Tenth Anniversary

Unread post by eagle » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:52 am

Welcome
Post by Hersch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 pm
I can't believe it has been ten years. When Wikipedia hit the 10 year mark, there was world-wide celebrations of self-congratulations. Although there have been critics of WP for more than ten years, and earlier WP criticism sites, in my opinion, none have provided the intelligent and persistent criticism offered from Wikipediocracy. Congratulations to all.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Happy Tenth Anniversary

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:28 pm

We were born in the destruction of Wikipedia Review.

Deliberate acts of gaslighting and sullen vandalism took that site out of contention. So the critical mass reformed here.

It's been a wild ten years, and as long as we're relevant and making relevant criticisms, we'll continue.

Wikipedia is still harming the information ecology, and the WMF is still taking millions of dollars from donors under false pretenses and enriching an insider group who contribute nothing to its existence and maintenance while offering breadcrumbs off the table to the editors who do the work.

While that happens, we'll continue.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:07 am

When this site started I didn't have a computer and had only been online twice.
I had muscles then.

The internet is a little disconcerting. You guys are weird.
If I'm still here in 2032, shoot me.

Much love,
Smiley      aka Hillbillyholiday / Commercial Hack / Jimmy Reckon / Microdot Cotton / Cloven Freak / Rog / Newyorkbrad / 13th Duke of Boscombe, etc.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:19 am

eagle wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:52 am
Welcome
Post by Hersch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 pm
I can't believe it has been ten years. When Wikipedia hit the 10 year mark, there was world-wide celebrations of self-congratulations. Although there have been critics of WP for more than ten years, and earlier WP criticism sites, in my opinion, none have provided the intelligent and persistent criticism offered from Wikipediocracy. Congratulations to all.
I was a few days late signing up. Nobody told me that Wikipedia Review was splitting... I blame my friend Kohs, because he is convenient.

t

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 am

BTW, I would like to see somebody who knows the story tell the history of this site here. It had California software dude money behind it, it was not started from sunshine and rainwater...

I never liked Wikipedia Review. I really do love this site and some of the people who post here regularly. Family.

love,

tim

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:13 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 am
BTW, I would like to see somebody who knows the story tell the history of this site here. It had California software dude money behind it, it was not started from sunshine and rainwater...
A facebook group was set up March 10 and wikipediaforum.com was registered three days later. Mr Greybeard paid slightly over $200 for the first 24 months hosting, Mr Dogbiscuit helped with some technical stuff.

First three posts

Post #1

Post #2
admin wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 am
This is the first post on the site.

< boring stuff snipped... >

See you soon.

Post #3
admin wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:07 am
Receipts

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:17 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 am
No way, man. Do you really think a mere "California software dude" could afford the astronomical $250 per year it takes to pay the hosting fees on this site? Not to mention the ever-increasing domain renewal fees, which I think are up to $40 annually now. How on Earth could some Silicon Valley Big Tech CEO type come up with that kind of money? Preposterous!

This operation is waaaaay out of that league. I can tell you from personal experience that the only conceivable way a site like Wikipediocracy can survive is if it's supported by the massive wealth of a small-town Midwestern retiree who drives a Subaru.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:09 am

We fight seagulls for discarded french fries, we're so rich.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:09 pm

Congrats on reaching 10 years, and thanks for the off-topic discussion threads as well (i.e. the threads you have to be logged in to view: I got a huge amount of sensible opinion and information and links from those off-topic threads during the pandemic and the various geopolitical crises, the latest being the most depressing and alarming).

Ada Sinn
Critic

Unread post by Ada Sinn » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:16 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:28 pm
We were born in the destruction of Wikipedia Review.

Deliberate acts of gaslighting and sullen vandalism took that site out of contention. So the critical mass reformed here.

It's been a wild ten years, and as long as we're relevant and making relevant criticisms, we'll continue.

Wikipedia is still harming the information ecology, and the WMF is still taking millions of dollars from donors under false pretenses and enriching an insider group who contribute nothing to its existence and maintenance while offering breadcrumbs off the table to the editors who do the work.

While that happens, we'll continue.
Well said
<|>

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:58 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:19 am
I was a few days late signing up. Nobody told me that Wikipedia Review was splitting... I blame my friend Kohs, because he is convenient.

t
I would rather be bashed by none other than you, Tim!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm

:applause:

Been lurking a while, visit on and off, interested watching the debates on the big world stories more than the weirdness of Wikipedia which I cannot practically contribute to so I've decided if you can't say anything useful, say nothing at all.

Looking forward to Smiley's next installment on our friend Nick.

It was a pleasure to help kickstart the place and glad to see that it has not degenerated into the cesspit.

10 years ago. That's a long time - upgraded to Mrs DB Mk2, retired, grandkids, playing bass in a band or two, cycling thousands of miles a year, abandoned Facebook for my sanity and a lot better for it. Haven't edited WIkipedia in that decade.

ANyway, back to lurking. Toodle pip, old chums!
Time for a new signature.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:20 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm
:applause:

Been lurking a while, visit on and off, interested watching the debates on the big world stories more than the weirdness of Wikipedia which I cannot practically contribute to so I've decided if you can't say anything useful, say nothing at all.

Looking forward to Smiley's next installment on our friend Nick.

It was a pleasure to help kickstart the place and glad to see that it has not degenerated into the cesspit.

10 years ago. That's a long time - upgraded to Mrs DB Mk2, retired, grandkids, playing bass in a band or two, cycling thousands of miles a year, abandoned Facebook for my sanity and a lot better for it. Haven't edited WIkipedia in that decade.

ANyway, back to lurking. Toodle pip, old chums!
Wonderful to know you're doing so well!

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:12 pm

I lurked here for quite some time before I ever made an account and posted. It took me a minute to be sure this wasn't just WR reborn. One day, someone sent me a link to this thread link where some of you said some not very nice things about me and suggested maybe I should get doxxed.

I think it was a few more years before I actually created an account, but I was kinda hooked right there, it was interesting to read even if some of it was just insults or just plain wrong. There's also a number of folks in that thread who defected to :axemurderer: the site that shall not be named:axemurderer: when it became clear that this was not supposed to just be an attack site.

Fast forward to now when I've taken all kinds of shit from a wide variety of people for even daring to speak here. Didn't see that one coming back in 2013. And I can say that while I regularly see utter bullshit posted here, there is also some very real and important criticism and insight here. And I do also enjoy the :offtopic: threads as a sort of harmless distraction.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom