Redirect loops on Firefox

Why we're here. Our rules. How to contact us. Forum information.
Sennalen
Contributor
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Sennalen

Redirect loops on Firefox

Unread post by Sennalen » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:09 pm

I normally use Firefox, and it from time to time, the Wikipediocracy forum doesn't load but instead appears to be stuck in a redirect loop. It will be like that for 30-60 minutes and then fine again for awhile. I tried Edge :sadbanana: and it hasn't exhibited the same problem

rnu
Habitué

Re: Redirect loops on Firefox

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:10 pm

Sennalen wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:09 pm
I normally use Firefox, and it from time to time, the Wikipediocracy forum doesn't load but instead appears to be stuck in a redirect loop. It will be like that for 30-60 minutes and then fine again for awhile. I tried Edge :sadbanana: and it hasn't exhibited the same problem
I use Firefox too and have not experienced this. Have you tried private mode? Depending on your settings that will disable most of your add-ons.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:10 pm

Sennalen wrote:
Can confirm. It's happened to me a few times today. I have also seen the occasional SQL error this week.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:10 pm
Sennalen wrote:
Can confirm. It's happened to me a few times today. I have also seen the occasional SQL error this week.
I get the SQL error about 10 times a day.
F5 is my friend.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:59 pm

SQL error is somewhat frequent here as well, and less commonly "misloads" where it does load the page, sort of, but the style elements are all over the place and it clearly failed to load some of them.

Don't think I've had a redirect loop of the type Sennalen described, though.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:26 am

I've had the SQL error multiple times. But reloading once, sometimes twice has so far always worked.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:47 am

I've pointed SQL errors out to Zoloft a few times. I have seen those and General error quite a bit lately but there has been a series of storms in my area with some intermittent Internet and power outages so I haven't reported those. I don't think this would cause a SQL error that talks about too many connections, but the General error stuff could be about the timeouts I also get on Wikipedia, so I don't want to waste his time unless I am sure it isn't on my end. Usually though my ISP is bulletproof fibre with constant uptime regardless of active wildfires or atmospheric rivers, both a feature of living here. No problem at all all for the previous four years

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:10 am

Vigilant wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:10 pm
Sennalen wrote:
I get the SQL error about 10 times a day.
F5 is my friend.
Vigilant, is your F5 friend electric?

Mods: please feel to delete this post. I'm just having a bit of fun here.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:57 pm

We're overdue for some upgrades, and that's my fault because I'm the one who's supposed to do them. However, there's a problem: The shared Bluehost servers we're on are all set up with MySQL 5.6, and the most current versions of both Wordpress and phpBB are well past that in terms of what's "optimal" for them, version-wise.

However, that's not the cause of the SQL errors; it may be exacerbating the problem, but the cause is almost certainly another Bluehost customer on the same shared DB server who's just eating up all the available bandwidth and/or CPU cycles. (They're not going to tell us who it is, though.)

And FWIW, I've been getting the General SQL errors too (starting about a month or so ago), about once or twice a day on average. And I don't think it's a coincidence that this started around the same time as a major marketing push by Bluehost, including a Super Bowl ad.

As for ways to improve the situation, the problem there is that we're already on the $15/month "Pro" plan, and once you move past that, the costs go up quite a bit — a Virtual Private Server (which I'd have to maintain myself) is more than twice as expensive, and a "Dedicated" server plan (which they would maintain) is 6 times as expensive. I could afford that for a year or two, but the fact is, both of those higher-level plans are Total Overkill for the amount of bandwidth and storage we actually need. What we're experiencing now is just not supposed to happen, basically.

So the most sensible solution (in terms of just minimizing/eliminating the errors) is to move to a new provider, which is a fairly big deal logistically. I've done it once already though, when WR moved from HostGator to Dreamhost, or was it vice-versa, I forget which now... :confused: Some of the old-timers here might remember that we were only offline for a few hours, and I might be able to do it even more quickly now because of my new fancy-ass fiber-optic connection. But a lot of things can go wrong, too, so I'm still viewing that as a last-resort sort of option until the timeouts (and other errors?) just get to be completely intolerable.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:18 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:57 pm
We're overdue for some upgrades, and that's my fault because I'm the one who's supposed to do them. However, there's a problem: The shared Bluehost servers we're on are all set up with MySQL 5.6, and the most current versions of both Wordpress and phpBB are well past that in terms of what's "optimal" for them, version-wise.

However, that's not the cause of the SQL errors; it may be exacerbating the problem, but the cause is almost certainly another Bluehost customer on the same shared DB server who's just eating up all the available bandwidth and/or CPU cycles. (They're not going to tell us who it is, though.)

And FWIW, I've been getting the General SQL errors too (starting about a month or so ago), about once or twice a day on average. And I don't think it's a coincidence that this started around the same time as a major marketing push by Bluehost, including a Super Bowl ad.

As for ways to improve the situation, the problem there is that we're already on the $15/month "Pro" plan, and once you move past that, the costs go up quite a bit — a Virtual Private Server (which I'd have to maintain myself) is more than twice as expensive, and a "Dedicated" server plan (which they would maintain) is 6 times as expensive. I could afford that for a year or two, but the fact is, both of those higher-level plans are Total Overkill for the amount of bandwidth and storage we actually need. What we're experiencing now is just not supposed to happen, basically.

So the most sensible solution (in terms of just minimizing/eliminating the errors) is to move to a new provider, which is a fairly big deal logistically. I've done it once already though, when WR moved from HostGator to Dreamhost, or was it vice-versa, I forget which now... :confused: Some of the old-timers here might remember that we were only offline for a few hours, and I might be able to do it even more quickly now because of my new fancy-ass fiber-optic connection. But a lot of things can go wrong, too, so I'm still viewing that as a last-resort sort of option until the timeouts (and other errors?) just get to be completely intolerable.
Nod, are there any failover.options? Or maybe the same host moving us to a less-trafficky server? or maybe just working on the SQL throttling?

Just brain storming

As I told Zoloft the problem is always short-lived and I can live without WO for seconds at a time

I have screenshots.of recent errors; PM me if that helps you at all

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:38 am

Jake, if you need my brains or some money PM me and I can help.
I have been considering paying the domains for a ten-year period and then adding a codicil to my will.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:40 am

Just so y'all are aware, I experienced this 30-minute redirect loop about five times yesterday. It resolved itself most of the time and turned into a Bad Gateway error one time.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:02 am

No redirects over here on Android but a different gateway error than usual, repeatedly for about two minutes. In case that tells anyone anything
Screenshot_20240312-223451.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:24 pm

In case it helps, I got this issue as well yesterday, for a sustained period of time (rather than just a few minutes). From my Android phone. Good luck with getting it all sorted, and please do have backups of all the content if moving provider. (And good luck as well with the longer-term legacy planning - several forums I know and frequent probably don't have that sort of planning and I wish they did, or that it was easier to sustain forums over several generations [and archive and wind them up properly at the end of their natural life-spans].)